website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

mens 800 m - great effort by jinson - 1:47.56 ........    a good effort by asian standards( gold at asian games 1.47.5 )  and indian standards ...three atheletes below 1:48 is awesome ...... as the qualification for 800 m is 1.46...... again a possible olympic qualification 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2 minutes ago, Prashanth said:

Ranjith hits 16.47m in Triple jump....

yes great jump he seems to approaching olympic qualification which is 16.8 or so ..............

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

43 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

what happened to the 4*400 m runs ???

men's 4*400 best was 3.11.44
women's 4*400 -3.42.26

men 4*100- 40.96

women 4*100- 46.47 

not so good i guess way far from national records.

what a federation cup ....... I know we did not see any qualifications ( other than sudha ) but so many National records being broken was phenomenal ( mens 100 , womens 100 , mens 400 and 3000 steeple for women )  .........also in Indian athletics the lower sprints 100, 200, 400, 800 in men has been weak for the last 15 years or so and sprints in women 100,200 and hence the relays have been weak , mens 100, 400 and womens 100 ........................... but with the kind of scores we are seeing I think we may have qualifiers but also see an effect in the Asian games ...................... that is 9 events so really significant ...........................

I was looking at the Asian games 2014 with the kind of scores we had here we would at least 5 more athletic medals................

I am sure in the may 1st week games ( iNDIAN GRAND PRIX ) we may have definitely a few qualifications 

4 minutes ago, sasidhar said:

men's 4*400 best was 3.11.44
women's 4*400 -3.42.26

men 4*100- 40.96

women 4*100- 46.47 

not so good i guess way far from national records.

i  feel there may not have adequate practice ...possibly we may see better scores at the grand prix in patiala

Final update from the asian olympic qualification in weightlifting 

Women's - India finished 3rd ( top 6 get 1 quota ) pipped by one point in the last event by Uzbekistan , Vietnam finished 1st as expected .........As discussed the quota was definate and confirmed  :IND............. The scores by the women in the higher weights were disappointing,  to say the least  ( to give you a feel Sushila panwar in +75 kgs lifted the same wieght as mirakhom in the 48kg - 190 kg ) .......  But on the positive side mirakhoms lift of 190 total would have put her 5th in the world championships and possibly 4th in the olympics ...... she is a distinct medal prospect and under kunjaranis tutelage would I am sure be definite medal prospect in the womens 48 at Rio  and I am sure she would be the weightlifter nominated ................ In the long term looking at womens weightlifting there was no new 4th weightlifter standing out ....... so India for tokyo needs to build a couple of new weightlifters or wait for drug tainted krisani and mitali to get back to get our 6 member squad in place .............

Men's - India finished 6th ( top 7 get one quota )  ..closed the one quota finally :IND..still close to the first 7 mark not be complacent ....but on the positive side they seems to have a series of young weifghtlifters who could form the nucleus of the squad for the next cycle- Venkat Ragala with a strong 316 in the 85 kg was great , Sambo and jeru ( from Arunachal ) are both juniors and 2-3 years should be there along with seniors like Vikas and Sathish  .... Vikas Thakurs performance was good and most possibly he may be our one quota for Rio ( he would probably finish in the 12-15 range there ) so not much can be expected of him ...............

Edited by nitinsanker

34 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

i  feel there may not have adequate practice ...possibly we may see better scores at the grand prix in patiala

they have to improve lot much in each event there is an gap of minimum 4 seconds frm the 16th ranked team in each event.