website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

12 hours ago, Alessandro Penko said:

Dipa Karmakar has become the first female Indian gymnast to qualify for the Olympics, after giving an astounding performance at the final qualifying event in Rio de Janeiro.

The 22-year-old is also the first gymnast from the country to participate in the Olympics since 1964.

http://www.desiblitz.com/content/first-indian-woman-gymnast-qualifies-for-olympics

What do you think about it?

What can we expect from this new young talent?

Dear Alessandro,

It is wonderful that you have noticed this new athlete Dipa from India. Just to let you know this is a new sport for us and until recently we did not think about it seriously, so Dipa did it with minimum support available. We are a sport loving nation but such sports like gymnastics we never had any hope. Dipa is a specialized vault athlete, with the Produnova vault you can expect her to score above 15 at Rio, expected finalist in the vault event, not a realistic chance in overall or other 3 events. This qualification has helped our budding gymnasts and expect more qualifications in Tokyo.

Edited by Sanjib

2 hours ago, Vivek said:

So go by the recent performance in athletics, can we hope for atleast 4-5 more quota in rio? If we add 4x400 women relay than can it be 8-10?

Realistic chances for quota in Athletics as I feel, others do let me know your thoughts.

2 quota in women's 100m(2 among Dutee,Srabani and Jyothi)

1 quota in women's 200m(1 among Dutee,Srabani and Jyothi)

1 quota in Men's 100m(Amiya)

1 quota in Men's 400m(Rajiv or Muhammad Anas)

2 quota in Women's 400m(Poovamma and Anilda)

1 quota in Men's triple jump(Renjith or Arpinder)

2 quota in women's 5000m (OP Jaisha, LSuriya)

1 quota in women's 10,000m (L Suriya)

1 quota in women's triple jump(Mayookha Jonny, there's no fracture so she should return in 3 weeks time)

1 quota in men's 50km race walk(100% sure we will get this on 8th May)

1 quota in Men's Javelin(Neeraj or Rajinder)

1 quota in 4X400 women's relay team.

Unless someone suffers from injury, these are a minimum we should get.

7 hours ago, Sanjib said:

Realistic chances for quota in Athletics as I feel, others do let me know your thoughts.

2 quota in women's 100m (2 among Dutee,Srabani and Jyothi)

1 quota in women's 200m (1 among Dutee,Srabani and Jyothi)

1 quota in Men's 100m (Amiya)

1 quota in Men's 400m (Rajiv or Muhammad Anas)

2 quota in Women's 400m (Poovamma and Anilda)

1 quota in Men's triple jump (Renjith or Arpinder)

2 quota in women's 5000m (OP Jaisha, LSuriya)

1 quota in women's 10,000m (L Suriya)

1 quota in women's triple jump (Mayookha Jonny, there's no fracture so she should return in 3 weeks time)

1 quota in men's 50km race walk (100% sure we will get this on 8th May)

1 quota in Men's Javelin (Neeraj or Rajinder)

1 quota in 4X400 women's relay team.

Unless someone suffers from injury, these are a minimum we should get.

It means we have very good chance of getting 15 more quota places in athletics itself. It will take up athletics players qualification quota upto 33, more than Hockey. It will be very good achievement of Indian Athletics.   Moreover we can hope of 110-120 Indian players taking part in Olympics. 

Edited by Vivek

15 minutes ago, Vivek said:

It means we have very good chance of getting 15 more quota places in athletics itself. It will take up athletics players qualification quota upto 33, more than Hockey. It will be very good achievement of Indian Athletics.   

Prashanth and Vivek, I agree being optimistic, the obvious question that comes is why have they not qualified till now, but I guess athletes prepare themselves to peak before the big events, as we realized with all the NR's in the Fed Cup. The list I have put up seems realistic as of now, except L Suriya may decide to focus on one of the events rather than both. But again some of the ones which seemed uncertain I haven't added. For ex (Dharamvir -200m, Seema Punia - Discuss, Jinsen Johnson - 400m H, the new guy in Shot Put forgot his name, Prem Kumar Long jump, 4X400 men's relay team) 1 or 2 among these also have a chance, so ultimately we should be close to that number.

Congratulations, BWF has released the rankings today and it is official now that in Rio2016, India is sending its largest contingent ever. Till now our 86 players has qualified for Olympics2016.  

4 minutes ago, Prashanth said:

@gvaisakh Are we going to add the athletes to the qualified list or we will wait till official announcement from BWF on badminton qualification.

BWF has released the official rankings of 05/05/2016. And it has already been declared that 05/05/2016 ranking will be used for qualification purpose. 

http://bwfbadminton.com/rankings/26/race-to-rio-bwf-olympic-qualification/28/women-s-singles/2016/18?rows_per_page=25&page_no=1

Its official our 7 players qualified for rio2016.