website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

6 hours ago, tirtha22 said:

Hockey

Champions trophy 2016 Final

India - Australia    0   -   0   at the end of 3rd quarter

Australia got 9 penalty corners and 1 penalty shot. India got 5 penalty corners.

I have never seen India have so much ball possession against Australia ever. Rolant Oltman's take a bow, Harmanpreet, what a sensation. We are a medal prospect in Hockey at Rio, for the first time in Olympics since 1980. Add Sardar to it and we are a team to beat. Raghunath has improved so much in his defensive skills, what a tournament he had. Indian defense was impeccable. Surender Kumar, Kothajit, even the forwards coming back and defending. All that is now required is the forwards finishing on the chances, that last touch. 

1 hour ago, Sanjib said:

I have never seen India have so much ball possession against Australia ever. Rolant Oltman's take a bow, Harmanpreet, what a sensation. We are a medal prospect in Hockey at Rio, for the first time in Olympics since 1980. Add Sardar to it and we are a team to beat. Raghunath has improved so much in his defensive skills, what a tournament he had. Indian defense was impeccable. Surender Kumar, Kothajit, even the forwards coming back and defending. All that is now required is the forwards finishing on the chances, that last touch. 

we actually have rested 3 players for this tournament - Sardar , striker - ramandeep , Drag flicker and defender Rupinderpal ,,,and ,Lakra was out due to injury ................definately when they come back the indian hockey team  will be further strengthened ........................ dreaming of a RIO medal  in hockey :hearts:... after the bronze in the world league , a silver here showed that they have it in them to match any side, especially the ball possession and the full time 0-0 score - shows that India could have won even against australia

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

However, don't forget that other teams were also missing various players.

I think the most positive thing for India is that GB and Belgium kind of sucked and they were the most complete squads. Could see India sneaking past them in Quarterfinals given the chance.

43 minutes ago, LDOG said:

However, don't forget that other teams were also missing various players.

I think the most positive thing for India is that GB and Belgium kind of sucked and they were the most complete squads. Could see India sneaking past them in Quarterfinals given the chance.

yes I currently feel 

Australia is ahead clearly 

Then India , Germany, GBR , Belgium , ARG  and NED  are in a close group in second position and anyone can beat anyone in any situation with peculiar patterns like India loses to bel often but beats GB most often so the quarters are going to be a any ones game who reaches the semis ( for India in the group  the only thing may avoid lowest place as you may face AUS then int he QTRs )  ............... The rest of 12 like IRL , CAN , SPN , NZL , BRA will make up the numbers only and one may make the quarters ....................

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

I am waiting to see the world hockey rankings which should be updated after this tournament .... what I can see is that most probably 

India will be at 5th overtaking Belgium and Arg ...............

The difference between NED( 2)  and GER( 3)  with GBR at 4th will be reduced even further while australia increases its margins .... the points will be a perfect illustration of what i said above in the last post 

Edited by nitinsanker

42 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

yes I currently feel 

Australia is ahead clearly 

Then India , Germany, GBR , Belgium , ARG  and NED  are in a close group in second position and anyone can beat anyone in any situation with peculiar patterns like India loses to bel often but beats GB most often so the quarters are going to be a any ones game who reaches the semis ( for India in the group  the only thing may avoid lowest place as you may face AUS then int he QTRs )  ............... The rest of 12 like IRL , CAN , SPN , NZL , BRA will make up the numbers only and one may make the quarters ....................

India doesnt beat GB often, in fact if I remember when we defeated them last year, it was after a gap of 15+ years

12 minutes ago, Dolby said:

India doesnt beat GB often, in fact if I remember when we defeated them last year, it was after a gap of 15+ years

yes....... but in the last two major tournaments we did defeat them while we lost to BEL in the last two tournaments major tournaments and we drew with Germany in the last two tournaments which is like a peculiar pattern 

Edited by nitinsanker

31 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Excellent performance by the team so close to Olympics. Lot of positives from the tournament, namely Fitness levels (Competing with Aus twice in two days), Confidence, Momentum and Harmanpreet Singh

excellent ball possession.................... no desperate last quarter clearances losing the ball by shooting into the other half