website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

40 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

But he was holding a gun like one second before that? What is a 13 year old doing with a real hand gun to begin with? USA is a brain dead country. 13 year olds running around with real guns, no wonder policemen are trigger-happy and have a short fuse.

The proliferation of guns should absolutely be a huge part of the coverage of this case. 

I don’t post about it, but little kids (5-12) die quite frequently from getting access to their parents guns and shooting themselves or friends.  

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

America is like the middle east when it comes to violence. Only difference is that it's the american military killing the civilians in middle east by bombs and drones while the american police kills civilians in their own country.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The proliferation of guns should absolutely be a huge part of the coverage of this case. 

I don’t post about it, but little kids (5-12) die quite frequently from getting access to their parents guns and shooting themselves or friends.  

At home, yes. But this was outside and the kid was hanging out with some 21yo who also had a gun. What gives? Kid was inspired by thug life or whatever street gang? I tell you, I'm not shocked police is so trigger-happy if some kid from 6th grade can pull a gun on you and flat out shoot you dead. Hence there will be no lessons learned from George Floyd and others. The juice is not worth the squeeze. USA is a gun violence country with both Republicans and Democrats happy to uphold the Second Amendment from 18th century. 230 years and you keep feeding this sacred cow. For what? I understand Republicans are scared to lose the conservative votes but what is holding the Democrats back? Either they're bunch of hypocrites or they're scared of NRA as well. Either way, nothing changes. Rinse and repeat.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

At home, yes. But this was outside and the kid was hanging out with some 21yo who also had a gun. What gives? Kid was inspired by thug life or whatever street gang? I tell you, I'm not shocked police is so trigger-happy if some kid from 6th grade can pull a gun on you and flat out shoot you dead. Hence there will be no lessons learned from George Floyd and others. The juice is not worth the squeeze. USA is a gun violence country with both Republicans and Democrats happy to uphold the Second Amendment from 18th century. 230 years and you keep feeding this sacred cow. For what? I understand Republicans are scared to lose the conservative votes but what is holding the Democrats back? Either they're bunch of hypocrites or they're scared of NRA as well. Either way, nothing changes. Rinse and repeat.

Again, it’s not that hard to get a gun. If someone 18+ wants a gun, they can generally get one rather easily in most states. 

It’s also worth pointing out that in many cases it takes more training to become a plumber or beauty technician than to become a police officer, and there is something inherently wrong with that. If someone has to put in more training to hold a pair of scissors to my hair over holding a gun to my head, then that’s a serious problem. Source: https://www.insider.com/some-police-academies-require-fewer-hours-of-training-plumbing-2020-6

We have insufficient healthcare, education, family support, mental health systems (among many, many other issues). My guess is that every American user on this forum knows someone who’s died because of a lack of healthcare, addiction to drugs, or who was a victim of gun violence (again, among other preventable causes). It’s a sobering and sad truth for most Americans.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

If gun access to citizens is so easy as you say, it's obvious why it's so easy to become a policeman :dunno:  Gun violence and police capacity are not unrelated things.

That’s absolutely right. It’s not just policing and gun proliferation either, it’s the lack of mental health services, the lack of healthcare, the lack of drug and alcohol addiction services, the lack of education opportunities, etc. 

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Meanwhile USA got scared of Mother Russia and cancelled the warships passing in the Black Sea :coffee:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/15/us-navy-ukraine-russia-tensions-481897

Because Russia already sealed off Kerch Straight while Ukrainian warship blocked as hostage in Sea of Azov. I gotta say Russia is still doing better than China in terms of threatening US back.