website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

23 minutes ago, MHSN said:

well I don't know much about what non-Iranian media say or believe about the candidates but Raeisi is a new version of Ahmadinejad, less stupid but more brutal. and he is not interested in open foreign policy, all extremists support him and we "in Iran" know how they want to deal with the world. he may say nice things during the candidacy but that's just populism. he is a judge and was involved in mass execution of political prisoners 30 years ago and he never said he is sorry or something about that.

just one thing to know Raeisi better, he is from Mashhad, a big religious city in northeast of Iran. he and his father in law run the city. actually they own the city and because of their view, no concert is allowed in that specific city !! :facepalm:

there are rumors that Raeisi is a candidate to become the next leader after Khameneyi. if he wins the election and Khameneyi dies during his presidency he most probably will become the next leader and that will be disastrous. but if he loses he will lose that opportunity as well and will go back to his cave forever.

Well, Italian media don't say nothing about Iran election, really. I need to use some specifical site that speak about election in the world :p Btw, what do you expect from this election?

19 minutes ago, MHSN said:

no, actually the other 4 approved candidates weren't "clergy", 3 of them withdrew (to support either Rouhani ro Raeisi) and the last one said himself he will vote for Rouhani ! :p just for info he is a former IOC member. :d

and Mahmoud "the disaster" Ahmadinejad wasn't a clergy

aha :d

and how much function of president really matter when there is supreme leader?

Also, what people now think of having supreme leader after so much time passed since it was founded?

6 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Well, Italian media don't say nothing about Iran election, really. I need to use some specifical site that speak about election in the world :p Btw, what do you expect from this election?

pfff, Iranian elections are highly unpredictable. you never can trust Opinion polls here. none of them are accurate AT ALL. 4 years ago Rouhani had no chance when he started his campaign but one debate and what he said during that changes everything and later reformist leader (Ex-president Khatami) asked other reformist candidates to withdraw for him and put his support behind Rouhani and he won the election by 51%.

I live in Tehran and from what I see (work, family, street campaigns etc) almost everybody will either not vote or vote for Rouhani but I know Iran is not just Tehran. people are more educated and less religious here but this doesn't apply to small cities.

educated people usually won't vote or vote for the reformists so it depends on the turnout. low turnout always helps the conservatives. they always have their fixed number of votes from religious/poor people here. Rouhani's economical results were not brilliant in past 4 years (specially with US somehow cheating by bringing other sanction after the nuclear deal) maybe that hurts him during the election.

PS: and there is always chance for a replay of what happened in 2009. rigging the election. I know so many people myself who never voted and will never vote again but that time they all came to vote to get rid of the disastrous Mahmoud, we were sure about the outcome but then the next morning ... that was shocking. I believe and i hope they learned their lesson to not do that mistake again.

3 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

aha :d

and how much function of president really matter when there is supreme leader?

Also, what people now think of having supreme leader after so much time passed since it was founded?

it matters a lot, the supreme leader might have the absolute power over everything but it doesn't mean he uses it for every single case. in past few years he used his power only in few limited cases. of course few things are off limit like nuclear program (even though Rouhani changed that) supporting Bashar Asaad's regime, supporting Hezbollah in Lebanon, hatred toward Israel. and etc.

who knows ?! we never had an election about having/not having that position. people once vote for the "Islamic Republic" 37 years ago and they think that's enough forever ! people who vote for Rouhani (or reformists in general) usually don't believe in this system and wants change (but in a non-violent way) at the moment, in 2017 there is no charismatic person to become the next leader. if he dies tomorrow I have absolutely no idea who will be next ! when Khomeini (the founder of IR) died 11 year after the Islamic revolution, they made Khameneyi the leader and at the time they made him something like god (for their religious supporters) but Iran nowadays is a different country. and with all these things internet. social media etc this will be really hard for them to "create" another "Supreme Leader" if he dies without having a serious candidate there is chance they might go after having a "council" instead of single person as a leader. at least that can be a small step into the right direction to get rid of that position one day.

Raeisi was relatively unknown 4-5 months ago. which means his past is almost clear for the people. (as I said he ordered mass execution long time ago but it seems people don't care much about that since they were MEK terrorists.)    Sepah (IRGC) and other extremist groups tried their best to make him somebody. that makes me worry. he might be their chosen one. but he has to win this election otherwise it will be very hard to later "sell" him as a leader.

:d you guys answer short questions but seriously they need long answers  but I really tried to be brief  :p

19 minutes ago, MHSN said:

it matters a lot, the supreme leader might have the absolute power over everything but it doesn't mean he uses it for every single case. in past few years he used his power only in few limited cases. of course few things are off limit like nuclear program (even though Rouhani changed that) supporting Bashar Asaad's regime, supporting Hezbollah in Lebanon, hatred toward Israel. and etc.

who knows ?! we never had an election about having/not having that position. people once vote for the "Islamic Republic" 37 years ago and they think that's enough forever ! people who vote for Rouhani (or reformists in general) usually don't believe in this system and wants change (but in a non-violent way) at the moment, in 2017 there is no charismatic person to become the next leader. if he dies tomorrow I have absolutely no idea who will be next ! when Khomeini (the founder of IR) died 11 year after the Islamic revolution, they made Khameneyi the leader and at the time they made him something like god (for their religious supporters) but Iran nowadays is a different country. and with all these things internet. social media etc this will be really hard for them to "create" another "Supreme Leader" if he dies without having a serious candidate there is chance they might go after having a "council" instead of single person as a leader. at least that can be a small step into the right direction to get rid of that position one day.

Raeisi was relatively unknown 4-5 months ago. which means his past is almost clear for the people. (as I said he ordered mass execution long time ago but it seems people don't care much about that since they were MEK terrorists.)    Sepah (IRGC) and other extremist groups tried their best to make him somebody. that makes me worry. he might be their chosen one. but he has to win this election otherwise it will be very hard to later "sell" him as a leader.

:d you guys answer short questions but seriously they need long answers  but I really tried to be brief  :p

Thank you for the answer. I did not know much about this, and i prefer not to watch news as i don't believe in objectivity.

I hope Iranian people will choose the best option.

Looks like Rouhani is winning,  even the hardliners almost accepted that, not official yet though , too early for celebration ! :d

the turnout was also very high, A record for the city of Tehran and also for Iranian abroad ! in Istanbul or some cities in US people had to wait 4-5 hours to vote in a weekday (Friday is holiday in Iran) apparently people understood the importance of this election as I said before.

I don't know about the rules in Canada, but they didn't let Iranians to vote in Canada , some Iranians even drove few hours to the US to vote in Buffalo ! with half million Iranians living in Canada , the Canadian government should found a solution for that. Iran has no relation with US for 4 decades and still even under Trump there were 55 different extraterritorial polling booths in the country.

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

Looks like Rouhani is winning,  even the hardliners almost accepted that, not official yet though , too early for celebration ! :d

the turnout was also very high, A record for the city of Tehran and also for Iranian abroad ! in Istanbul or some cities in US people had to wait 4-5 hours to vote in a weekday (Friday is holiday in Iran) apparently people understood the importance of this election as I said before.

I don't know about the rules in Canada, but they didn't let Iranians to vote in Canada , some Iranians even drove few hours to the US to vote in Buffalo ! with half million Iranians living in Canada , the Canadian government should found a solution for that. Iran has no relation with US for 4 decades and still even under Trump there were 55 different extraterritorial polling booths in the country.

Congratulations for the Rouhani victory :), i prefer, usually, the moderates political candidates in the world.

6 hours ago, konig said:

Congratulations for the Rouhani victory :), i prefer, usually, the moderates political candidates in the world.

oh yes I'm very happy for that , it's great to see people singing and partying for this victory. but I would be happier if the gap was much bigger. Rouhani was needed more than 58% to make a big big change.

actually this makes me sad to see 16 millions (Rouhani got 23.5) in my country still vote for such guy. :( there is not a single positive thing about this guy. well, still a long way to go for the Iranian people.

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

oh yes I'm very happy for that , it's great to see people singing and partying for this victory. but I would be happier if the gap was much bigger. Rouhani was needed more than 58% to make a big big change.

actually this makes me sad to see 16 millions (Rouhani got 23.5) in my country still vote for such guy. :( there is not a single positive thing about this guy. well, still a long way to go for the Iranian people.

Too much diference between the people of Teheran and the rest of Iran?, in my country is more or less the same: in Buenos Aires and the most part of the develops parts of Argentina, the peronism dont win and in the most parts of the poor and undevelops parts of Argentina, the peronism wins with big majoritys.

On 5/21/2017 at 04:53, konig said:

Too much diference between the people of Teheran and the rest of Iran?, in my country is more or less the same: in Buenos Aires and the most part of the develops parts of Argentina, the peronism dont win and in the most parts of the poor and undevelops parts of Argentina, the peronism wins with big majoritys.

Yes , maybe not "too" much but there are big differences. people are more educated in Tehran, but almost the same goes to the other big cities. I would like to write this after having the detailed results cty by city but not published yet.

but on Friday we also had the election for city councils (alongside the presidential election) now we have the results, the conservatives lost badly, in Tehran the reformists had won all 21 seats which means fortunately Tehran will have a new mayor the current Mayor Ghalibaf was Rouhani's number 1 enemy but withdrew from the election to support Raeisi. the same happened to all major cities such as Isfahan, Shiraz and even Raeisi (and Ghalibaf) hometown of Mashhad (the second most religious city in Iran )