website statistics

Great Britain National Thread

uk12points

30 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

If don't believe that first sentence for one moment. It defies all rationality and all the evidence of the last Olympic cycle. Even with much stronger squads in 2012 and 2016 they were always reluctant to predict that degree of success and rightly so.

Reluctant publicly but I am sure they had private ambitions. You can tell on the BBC Katherine Grainger was expecting the Men’s eight to be strong medal contenders rather than challenging for a bronze on a good race. 

Has been a great morning & afternoon already. We’re up to 24 medals now plus a further three minimum from the boxing, so I reckon the minimum of 45 looks well attainable.  Also building a handy lead over the other major European nations, which is one of my personal targets.  Three golds down on :AUS, but they are probably front-loaded with rowing & swimming up early.

18 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Has been a great morning & afternoon already. We’re up to 24 medals now plus a further three minimum from the boxing, so I reckon the minimum of 45 looks well attainable.  Also building a handy lead over the other major European nations, which is one of my personal targets.  Three golds down on :AUS, but they are probably front-loaded with rowing & swimming up early.

I think UK sport are going to count unofficially any medals that would have been won if only the presence of Russians keep the brits of the podium - it is how the press are reporting Helen Glover’s fourth for example. 

23 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Biles and Osaka have meant the head of GB Rowing will always be sacked if there is any accusations of mental health damage.

Did Katherine Grainger get on with him or not - Thornley did so I presume so but different members of the same crew can have different perspectives of the same events and person. It was reported that some other rowers didn’t rate Paul Thompson’s coaching of Grainger and Thornley in 2916