website statistics

Volleyball Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

LDOG

5 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

end up with six American teams, while Europe dominates volleyball, (sorry for all these missing countries: Germany, Serbia and Bulgaria)  :cry::cry:

This quad was unique in that Brazil was hosts, and with FIVB and putting that dumb qualification tournament with 4 teams (that was pure luck). So in 2020 at best 4 will be in Rio.

il y a 1 minute, intoronto a déclaré:

This quad was unique in that Brazil was hosts, and with FIVB and putting that dumb qualification tournament with 4 teams (that was pure luck). So in 2020 at best 4 will be in Rio.

but not their intercontinental tournament is really stupid

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I think FIVB is smart enough to realize that was a mistake and hopefully its gone 

Ya, it makes no sense. I feel especially bad for the Dominican Republic who by all rights should have qualified avove Puerto Rico (and I'll be quite peeved if Mexico makes it but Canada doesn't).

They should have just kept the rule where top 3 at the World Cup qualify.

Edited by Near

It's obvious that the intercontinental qualifier has an ideologic motive behind: to increase non-european representation at the olympics. I don't think that's bad per se, but I see two fatal flaws in it: a) that they send the 3rd, not the 2nd teams from N. & S. America b) that Asia has no access to it whatsoever. Asian teams have only two chances for olympics (world cup and asian qualifier) while every other continent is having 3.

What I mean is, if the intercontinental tournament would be, instead of Mexico, Chile, Tunisia and Algeria, let's say... Australia, Venezuela, Canada and Tunisia it wouldn't be that bad, right?

14 minutes ago, LDOG said:

What I mean is, if the intercontinental tournament would be, instead of Mexico, Chile, Tunisia and Algeria, let's say... Australia, Venezuela, Canada and Tunisia it wouldn't be that bad, right?

It would at least make more sense. Not sure I'd consider it fair, but if you want more American teams you should at least to make sure the best American teams qualify.