website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2020 - 2021

Totallympics

Thoughts from the men's race:

I love that in the top 11 there were three whose bib numbers were 80 or higher.  Granted two were from Norway ...

The two Romanian biathletes DNS, any idea why?  

What happened to Eliseev on the last lap?

Swiss with 4th, great race Weger, and 100 with Tamborino.  Hartweg missed 3 but Finello does well with a 23rd.  He had two misses, and for skied really fast.

As for the US, things are making this season look like it will be a really long one.  Brown and Doherty both make the pursuit, but they are a long way back.  Doherty only missed one shot and was 2:10 back!  Nordgren missed 4 in the prone, and Schommer who has become one of my favorites due to his really good youtube channel missed two in the stand.  Just not strong at all.

Moldova had two, one who shot clean and almost made the pursuit.  Rastic of Serbia finished in 80th.  

Thoughts from the women's race:

Sweden looks really, really strong this season.  2 of top 3, 5 of top 23.  Ouch!  

Alimbejava has gone 8,6,7 in three races.  I wish I had her on my team.

Eckhoff with some redemption

For the US - Dunklee did better, 31st with only 1 miss, and Egan also only had one miss.  Reid missed the Pursuit by 2 second.  It has been since Anncey last season that the US women had three in a Pursuit.

For the Swiss - Haecki is so frustrating!  They were decent today.  

Any idea why Amanda Lightfoot did not race?  Jill Colebourn had a good first shooting, then it all went wrong.  Mari Eder with 7 misses on the day!  

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Thoughts from the men's race:

What happened to Eliseev on the last lap?

https://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Biatlon/spbnews_NI1280428_Matvej_Jelisejev__o_vystuplenii_v_sprinte_Trevozhus_iz_za_togo_chto_proizoshlo_Otveta_poka_net

According to this article, he simply struggled with lactate acid on the last lap. He is as puzzled as you are :p

Start List Relay Women

https://ibu.blob.core.windows.net/docs/2021/BT/SWRL/CP02/SWRL/C51B2_v1.pdf

The swedish girls should be the hot favourite. For me Norway is clear in second, if they have no disaster at the shooting Range. Third Place could be really close between France and Germany. France Put their two best Athletes at the first two legs, so they could lead at the second exchange. But then C. Chevalier and Braisaz could Go very well or very Bad. German Hinz need to stay under a Minute at the First Exchange then they have really Good chances if they are Not Miss too Many Targets.

Could be a surprise from Austria tomorrow. They did really well on Thursday.

Whats your opinions?

Biathlon Relays are always strange - even though :SWE are red-hot favourites, I still think Norway & Germany will be close.  It’s just the way biathlon works, individuals always find that extra 10%.   It’s not like athletics or swimming.

Edited by Grassmarket

The Swiss women could do really well, or could flame out.  Who knows. The US could be in the top 10 if Dunklee actually has a good race.  She has not up to this point.  Estonia should be in the top 10.  It will be interesting to see how many teams can avoid being lapped.

3 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

The Swiss women could do really well, or could flame out.  Who knows. The US could be in the top 10 if Dunklee actually has a good race.  She has not up to this point.  Estonia should be in the top 10.  It will be interesting to see how many teams can avoid being lapped.

Don't think the Swiss has a chance for a top 5 at this point in the season.

Haecki and Selina not looking too great, Elisa not too great either and Aita right now looks most stable, but used to be the 4th best runner for the relay.

Sweden would be the easy bet for the win, but Skottheim could get nervous and do loops in the first leg.

Germany looks fairly stable and another good favourite to fight with Sweden. 

France and Norway could look promising, but they also have clear weaknesses. Norway could find themselves too far behind before the 3rd leg, whilst France will probably bomb after the 2nd leg.

Italy doesn't seem ready, Sanfilippo and Lardschneider seem unreliable.

My biggest outsider chance would be Austria. Zdouc has hit 40/40 targets, Schwaiger and Hauser also known to be pretty good with the rifle, although Hauser has lost a bit of it. Still, I think it comes down to Innerhofer being able to avoid the penalty loop in the standing and if she does that, Austria could be gunning for bronze. 

And with the women teams looking a bit weaker than previous years, I'd say Estonia has a decent chance to end in the top 10