website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Are you telling us there will be a special column for the mail-in ballots?

I am not telling you that :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Wait.. what? She's the Queen Consort, as the female spouse of the monarch is a Queen, while it's the other way around with female monarch having a male spouse, who's then called "Prince Consort". She even has the title of Her Majesty, instead of prince consorts being addressed to "only" as "His Royal Highness".

Nope. She has actually kept the titles she had before Willem-Alexander was crowned king and so, offically speaking, she is Princess of The Netherlands. This was made clear even in 2011 by one of the ministers: "She will not be queen, but she will be called queen." It's a courtesy title and by far the one used most (basically everywhere), but deep down and officially, the Netherlands has a king and his wife, the princess, much like before him there was a queen and her husband, the prince.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Incidentally (or not), the first thing I did at work today was listening to The Night Like This on Spotify. :p

The freakshow starts a day early :yikes: 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nope. She has actually kept the titles she had before Willem-Alexander was crowned king and so, offically speaking, she is Princess of The Netherlands. This was made clear even in 2011 by one of the ministers: "She will not be queen, but she will be called queen." It's a courtesy title and by far the one used most (basically everywhere), but deep down and officially, the Netherlands has a king and his wife, the princess, much like before him there was a queen and her husband, the prince.

I'd rather say the other way - she is the queen consort and "she is called queen", just being titled "Princess of the Netherlands". Just like HRH Prince Philip, the Prince Consort is titled the "Duke of Edinburgh", which doesn't mean he is duke instead of prince.

Just now, Vojthas said:

I'd rather say the other way - she is the queen consort and "she is called queen", just being titled "Princess of the Netherlands". Just like HRH Prince Philip, the Prince Consort is titled the "Duke of Edinburgh", which doesn't mean he is duke instead of prince.

Well, whatever we call it, she is princess and she is called queen, that's just how it is :p It doesn't matter much and I think 95% of the Dutch people don't know it, that's how little it matters.

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Wait until there's a real winter and the lakes freeze over instead of just the 'easy' canals :cheer: 

Skating on the Veluwe Lake, now that's some childhood memories :wub: 

Several years ago the Dutch marathon championships on natural ice (there's also one on artificial ice) where on the Veluwe Lake near Elburg, that was awesome :cheer: 

Actually so far the lakes (the ones in the parks and forest here in amsterdam) are the "easy" ones, the canals, since they get water from the big Amstel river, i had never seen frozen. In fact, i think they had to close some barriers between the Amstel and the IJ for the canals to froze.

But, even though i hate cold, i wish it could be cold enough so that I could witness the mythical Elfstedentocht around the cities in Friesland!

Certain unspecified difficulties...hic... caused our speakercan not speak... have to cancel the press conference ... so I will just mention as a novelty that our country is so persuated of success this year that despite the high costs we procured ourselves a completely new display case for Czechoslovak trophy(-i-es).

Spoiler

isle-of-wight-glass-museum-empty-cabinet

Just now, kungshamra71 said:

Actually so far the lakes (the ones in the parks and forest here in amsterdam) are the "easy" ones, the canals, since they get water from the big Amstel river, i had never seen frozen. In fact, i think they had to close some barriers between the Amstel and the IJ for the canals to froze.

But, even though i hate cold, i wish it could be cold enough so that I could witness the mythical Elfstedentocht around the cities in Friesland!

I mean the real lakes, not the small ponds inside parks and cities :p Yeah, those are definitely the easiest to freeze :d