website statistics

2024 Paralympics Review

Archery 

My prediction - 0 golds, 2 medals

Result - 1 Gold, 2 medals

The team this year was much smaller then previous years, which is a slightly concerning trend for the development of the sport. However, the team still performed strongly, exceeding expectations and bringing home a gold. 

There are currently 8 members of the world class para squad, 4 of whom went to Paris. The team is comprised of a large range of ages, although the age impairments of archery aren't as large as in other sports. 

A new performance archery centre opened in Lilleshall at the start of this year, which looks to have world class facilities and hopefully will improve both Olympic and Paralympic results across the next cycle. In addition to this a new para academy was established last year, which will also be a boost to the teams chances.

Athletics

My prediction - 10 golds, 30 medals

Result - 6 golds, 18 medals

There is no hiding that this result was pretty disappointing, and another reason UK athletics is not working as intended.

Much like with the olympic squad, the team was considerably smaller than previous games, although the total medal haul was far lower then exceptions than for the Olympics. The team was terrible but the overall results were definitely 'carried' by the performances of some athletes. 1 mens wheelchair medal is very poor, especially given the pedigree of all the athletes competing. The team was heading through a transitional phase heading into Tokyo, and it feels like the squad has regressed since then.

Looking towards LA, Cockroft seems pretty confident of competing again, Sandilands will be 25, Kinghorn 32 (in an event with lots of longevity), and Fortune will be 31, so will hopefully be contenders again. Many of the throwing squad will be in their mid to late 30's but again the sport can see older athletes compete. 16 year old Maddie Down will likely be competing and could challenge in LA, but apart from that there aren't really any stand out young athletes. The future will alway be unknown and I'm sure new athletes will come through, but the trends shown aren't that promising. 

Edited by TeamGB

Badminton

My prediction - 1 Gold, 3 medals

Result - 0 Gold, 2 medals

The results were marginally better than Tokyo although some events felt like a missed opportunity. Dan Bethell was particularly unfortunate to miss out on gold, whist Coombs was beaten more comprehensively. 

In LA, the programme may well be extended even more and so it is important that the team expands with it. There are 6 members of the Para Badminton performance squad but the team sent 21 athletes to the European championships last year, so the set up is quite deep. Obviously it is too early to predict who will retire and who will break through but the overall squad feels like it is in a fairly good place.

20 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Athletics

My prediction - 10 golds, 30 medals

Result - 6 golds, 18 medals

There is no hiding that this result was pretty disappointing, and another reason UK athletics is not working as intended.

Much like with the olympic squad, the team was considerably smaller than previous games, although the total medal haul was far lower then exceptions than for the Olympics. The team was terrible but the overall results were definitely 'carried' by the performances of some athletes. 1 mens wheelchair medal is very poor, especially given the pedigree of all the athletes competing. The team was heading through a transitional phase heading into Tokyo, and it feels like the squad has regressed since then.

Looking towards LA, Cockroft seems pretty confident of competing again, Sandilands will be 25, Kinghorn 32 (in an event with lots of longevity), and Fortune will be 31, so will hopefully be contenders again. Many of the throwing squad will be in their mid to late 30's but again the sport can see older athletes compete. 16 year old Maddie Down will likely be competing and could challenge in LA, but apart from that there aren't really any stand out young athletes. The future will alway be unknown and I'm sure new athletes will come through, but the trends shown aren't that promising. 

Athletics is always the easiest & cheapest sport for new nations to start a para program, so it will always be the most competitive.  But certainly UKA seems a bit complacent when it comes to recruiting new talent compared to swimming or cycling for sure.

Thanks a million for doing my job for me during the Paras

Now, this time, for real, I need a snooze.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold