website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 15

If they can steal a top 5 place somehow tomorrow it'll rescue the reduction in gold, 16 i can live with.  14 just isn't enough, and no amount of plucky top 10 finishes will change that for me.

And at the same time rescue track cycling from the hard questions they are going to face if they return with just one gold.

Thinking of the likelihood we don't get another gold, Sweden just beat germany which i think stops them getting above us, italy can't....do netherlands have anyone outside of men's track kierin?? South Korea need two don't they, i dont think thats doable....

i cant see france getting another gold, so it is in our hands

32 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Well they way down on that. A third of 63 is 21. 

But yet massively overshot the 50 medal target

i don’t this narrative of the games not being a success for GB will hold whatsoever. Lots of nearly moments of bronze and silvers turning into gold, sure, but overall (& Epic can confirm this with his top 8 tally) the Games has been very successful for the team 

We got screwed in the shooting, the windsurfing was a farce, Whitehouse definitely won that floor final and the Argentine was overmarked in the BMX final. Adding those 4 alone nevermind the near misses in the 1500 and 400m men’s track finals and the two swimming finals and we would be lapping it up.

It was just an unlucky games and I don’t think questions need to be asked. We move on. 

Would be great if Finucane can get the sprint title and one of the pentathlon girls can win their title tomorrow to end the games on a good note. 

7 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

If they can steal a top 5 place somehow tomorrow it'll rescue the reduction in gold, 16 i can live with.  14 just isn't enough, and no amount of plucky top 10 finishes will change that for me.

And at the same time rescue track cycling from the hard questions they are going to face if they return with just one gold.

Thinking of the likelihood we don't get another gold, Sweden just beat germany which i think stops them getting above us, italy can't....do netherlands have anyone outside of men's track kierin?? South Korea need two don't they, i dont think thats doable....

It will be a bit of revamp for Track Cycling. Obviously they will say Archibald getting injured pre games and Hayter during it had effects and it did and all four teams got medals and the amount of medals is higher than Tokyo but the gold loss is a problem. Plus the tactics in the Maddison were weird - the women still medalled but their plan to win only on sprints looked risky and naive. I don’t know what the men were even trying today. 

Edited by Orangehair43

4 minutes ago, KingKunta said:

We got screwed in the shooting, the windsurfing was a farce, Whitehouse definitely won that floor final and the Argentine was overmarked in the BMX final. Adding those 4 alone nevermind the near misses in the 1500 and 400m men’s track finals and the two swimming finals and we would be lapping it up.

It was just an unlucky games and I don’t think questions need to be asked. We move on. 

Would be great if Finucane can get the sprint title and one of the pentathlon girls can win their title tomorrow to end the games on a good note. 

I don’t get the Whitehouse thing. If they wanted to rig it why was he put so low. They could have put him second or third and nobody would have found it that odd. 

Edited by Orangehair43

4 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I don’t get the Whitehouse thing. If they wanted to rig it why was he put so low. They could have put him second or third and nobody would have found it that odd. 

Whitehouse deduction of 0.2 was warranted on the landing where he almost sat down but I agree placing him so far down made no sense.

the one that irked me was Amber in the shooting. How you can let a gold medal be decided on an utter calamitous lack of sight by an elderly referee - biggest prize in the business made to look truly amateur

12 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Any sport worth its salt will have tough questions for itself. That's how you keep competing. I'm sure rowing asked itself some taxing things after Tokyo.

But the "plucky top 10" finishes are important. Because that shows a sport in good health, not a sport that needs a complete reset or should lose funding. For some of the smaller sports, getting that plucky top 10 might be the difference between them being funded and not.

Track cycling will come home with, at worst, matching the total medal haul from Tokyo. Again, it should ask tough questions because that's healthy. But it should also be acknowledged that it still delivered hardware.

8 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Any sport worth its salt will have tough questions for itself. That's how you keep competing. I'm sure rowing asked itself some taxing things after Tokyo.

But the "plucky top 10" finishes are important. Because that shows a sport in good health, not a sport that needs a complete reset or should lose funding. For some of the smaller sports, getting that plucky top 10 might be the difference between them being funded and not.

Track cycling will come home with, at worst, matching the total medal haul from Tokyo. Again, it should ask tough questions because that's healthy. But it should also be acknowledged that it still delivered hardware.

Is there any sport that actually did get that? Rugby women and hockey at a push. Every other sport either medalled or were miles off.

24 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

France sits 1st and 5th in the women’s pentathlon, we sit 3rd and 4th. They also have another shot in the women’s basketball tomorrow.

Germany’s remaining chances are now in the women’s cycling sprint (Friedrich) and the men’s handball. 

Netherlands have opportunities across the cycling. Favourites in the keiran I reckon, but an opportunity in the women’s sprint also. 

South Korea has opportunities in women’s pentathlon (sitting 6th and 8th). Also has a strong contender in the weightlifting (though likely not able to challenge China for the gold - could put pressure on Emily Campbell for the Silver though).

Women’s ominium has Dutch, German and French interest - think the American is tipped though? 

Realistically Japan and Australia are unassailable. France also I think at this point out of reach - even if we took Gold in the women’s sprint and the women’s pentathlon, and a silver in the weightlifting, we’d still not overtake France. That’s also presuming they don’t make any further gains. The challenge would be to maintain 6th.

I think on the above I’ll just offer my 2 cents that the winner of the women’s omnium will be New Zealand (Ally W)

lots of what ifs going into the final day but GB will certainly solidify their position with 2 golds.