website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 14 (August 9)

28 minutes ago, Josh said:

I feel so bad for Brandie. Her comments on Instagram are getting BOMBARDED by the Brazilians with hate comments… 

I'll just say this. Christ the Redeemer is one of the Seven Modern Wonders of the World because it was left up to an internet poll. Love Brazil, but they are very online. Never read the comments, especially while celebrating a silver medal. 

Today was a good, but not a great day. 

Highlight was obviously our men’s 4x100m relay winning gold to upgrade from their bronze in Rio 2016 and silver in Tokyo 2020. Katie Vincent/Sloan MacKenzie won bronze in women’s C2-500m (came in as the favourites for silver) after being in second for the majority of the race, a medal is a medal though. Melissa and Brandie fell just shy in the women’s beach volleyball gold medal match, losing to Duda/Ana Patricia in 3, but if you’d have told me before the Olympics began that they’d make it to this point, I wouldn’t have believed you. Really proud of them. Kelsey Mitchell advanced to the 1/8th finals in women’s sprint, Nathan Zsombor-Murray and Rylan Wiens advanced to the semifinals in men’s 10m platform, Mariam Abdul-Rashid’s PB of 12.60 in the women’s 100m hurdles semifinals, and Arop advancing to the final in men’s 800m were other highlights. 

Off the top of my head there was only one disappointment, and unfortunately it was a big one with Sarah Mitton bombed out of the women’s shot put final in wet weather conditions. Another medal contender failing to convert. 

Can I just take a moment to note how insane it would have sounded back in Rio or London to hear that Canada won three athletics gold… despite three of its biggest medal chances bombing out? There is so much more depth in our track and field team now.

Edited by NearPup

12 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Can I just take a moment to note how insane it would have sounded back in Rio or London to hear that Canada won three athletics gold… despite three of its biggest medal chances bombing out? There is so much more depth in our track and field team now.

You can say almost the same about swimming. Up until June 2016, if you told me Canada would become a swimming power for the next three Olympic cycles I would have laughed in your face. 

The boycotts of 1980/1984 really mask how strong Canadian swimming was at the time (Montreal 1976 was just a preview, unfortunately with no golds). This is the Renaissance of Canadian swimming, and we can just hope it lives on to LA, Brisbane and beyond. 

Side note, this just goes to show how much rowing propped up our medal count in the 90s. Pray our athletics and swimming programs don't turn out like that. 

15 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I think for us who witnessed the Sydney or Athens Olympics it’s almost hard to believe that we have 24 medals. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I feel so bad for Brandie. Her comments on Instagram are getting BOMBARDED by the Brazilians with hate comments… 

Brazilians are the WORST. Horrible fans imo.

In 2007 at the Pan Am Games they BOOED Canadian athletes because they were "good" like wtf?

They are probaby still salty Canada finished ahead of their men's soccer team at Copa America :p 

Edited by intoronto

Another record broken?

Canada has won a medal in 14 different sports so far in Paris. From my quick look, that easily beats every non-boycotted Olympics, and is tied with 1984. Not going to name names, but if a certain Hogwarts alum can get on the podium tomorrow, that'll make a record. 

I have never read nor watched Harry Potter, but I hope my reference works here.  

9 minutes ago, james89 said:

I think for us who witnessed the Sydney or Athens Olympics it’s almost hard to believe that we have 24 medals. 

Throw in London. One gold during the Games (one added later because cheating). Dark days. But still some incredible moments. Simon in 2000 and 2008. Kyle in 2004. Rosie in 2012 (and 2016), along with Karen in 2000, 2004, 2008 and should have been 2012. Adam in the kayak. Carol Hyun balling her eyes out with the rest of Canada in Beijing.