website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 9 (August 4)

Does anyone know why France was hand picked by the IOC to host the 2030 games when Sweden was the front runner for so long? Sweden wanted it badly and they just said no and gave it to France when they didn’t even bid for it.

2 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

Does anyone know why France was hand picked by the IOC to host the 2030 games when Sweden was the front runner for so long? Sweden wanted it badly and they just said no and gave it to France when they didn’t even bid for it.

There must be something in the Swedish bid that is too risky. Id like to know too!

Part of my job is evaluating bids to host so, that seems the likely answer.

4 minutes ago, intoronto said:

There must be something in the Swedish bid that is too risky. Id like to know too!

Part of my job is evaluating bids to host so, that seems the likely answer.

Do you think Canada will get the games in the near future ?

3 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

Do you think Canada will get the games in the near future ?

I can't see it happening. I feel like 2036 is setup to go to a non-English speaking country. 2040 would probably be the earliest for a summer, and 2042 for winter (since Switzerland is leading candidate for 2038). 

There were rumours last year the COC was planning a combined bid with Toronto/Montreal. Toronto could host without Montreal (and vice versa). The only thing really missing is the track stadium inToronto.

Edited by intoronto

7 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I can't see it happening. I feel like 2036 is setup to go to a non-English speaking country. 2040 would probably be the earliest for a summer, and 2042 for winter (since Switzerland is leading candidate for 2038). 

There were rumours last year the COC was planning a combined bid with Toronto/Montreal. Toronto could host without Montreal (and vice versa). The only thing really missing is the track stadium inToronto.

I think hosting in the Windsor / Quebec City coridor would make a lot of sense in the Agenda 2020 era.

Just now, NearPup said:

I think hosting in the Windsor / Quebec City coridor would make a lot of sense in the Agenda 2020 era.

For sure, however if another compact bid is presented, the IOC will not hesitate to select it. 

Canada's two winter possible hosts have rejected recently hosting. Only other option is Quebec City, which coincidentally will be hosting the next Canada Winter Games.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

For sure, however if another compact bid is presented, the IOC will not hesitate to select it. 

Canada's two winter possible hosts have rejected recently hosting. Only other option is Quebec City, which coincidentally will be hosting the next Canada Winter Games.

A Quebec City winter Olympics would be all sorts of magical

17 minutes ago, intoronto said:

That would be so cool!