website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 8

Just now, Olympicsnell said:

I dont disgaree with any of that, but lets agree there is a HUGE benefit from having allready raced on the course literally moments before compared to someone whose just had to watch it, you win the quailication and get penalised for it 

I definitely think there's a benefit to experiencing the conditions, no doubt. But as I've said elsewhere, there's also risk - you could lose in that SF. Whereas Wilson knew she had a medal wrapped up whatever happened, which is not nothing.

I also think the wind delays hugely influence things. Also, whilst Wilson was clearly the favourite, she won 8 out of 14 races in the series, so it wasn't like she was unbeatable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as frustrated and disappointed for her as anyone. And I agree that there should be some tweaking done, and I'd have no problem with a more traditional format being used.

7 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I definitely think there's a benefit to experiencing the conditions, no doubt. But as I've said elsewhere, there's also risk - you could lose in that SF. Whereas Wilson knew she had a medal wrapped up whatever happened, which is not nothing.

I also think the wind delays hugely influence things. Also, whilst Wilson was clearly the favourite, she won 8 out of 14 races in the series, so it wasn't like she was unbeatable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as frustrated and disappointed for her as anyone. And I agree that there should be some tweaking done, and I'd have no problem with a more traditional format being used.

I think having so many early round races before going to a knockout format makes the early stages rather boring, 

20 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

After a shaky start, Hannah Snellgrove has moved into medal contention with two race wins back to back. She sits in 3rd on 25 points.

2 4'th's in the men's as well has him sitting 2nd overall 

49 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Rutter finally misses with her 72nd shot. But that's her only miss and she's sitting at the end of day 1 with 74/75.

Still lots to go but whatever happens she'll end day 1 in an finals spot.

Rutter sits joint top overnight, with a 2 point cushion still.

There's only 7 people total on the 72/75 or better, so if even one of those were to miss one shot tomorrow, even dropping 3 for Rutter would still have her in a shoot off right now.

Nothing decided but definitely a good position to be in at this stage.

1 minute ago, TeamGB said:

Just noticed the 'perfect' medal ratio has been restored.

We are having a disappointing lack of 6th places for my OCD brain.

We're at 10s all round for the medals obviously. Then 9 4ths, 8 5ths, only 2 6ths, 6 7ths and 6 8ths.

61 top eights as it stands.

For comparison, our total numbers for top 8s since 96 have been as follows:

Atlanta -39

Sydney - 69

Athens - 84

Beijing - 106

London - 132

Rio - 125

Tokyo - 135

Dressage is a sport that not even a British medal can make interesting to me. I'm watching the Chinese table tennis championship instead.