website statistics

Team AUS at Paris 2024 | Daily

Day 3 Review :AUS

Another mostly solid day for Australia, with MOC getting the better over Titmus for gold in the 200free, and Chris Burton getting a silver in the Equestrian Eventing Individual Jumping final. 

Outside of the medals won, both hockey teams with solid results and are both 2 from 2, woman’s rugby storm through to the semis and are looking in top form.

Also worth noting James willet in the trap shooting qualification is currently inside the top 3 and in good form.

A Robinson/Ewing matchup awaiting in the Quarter finals of the surfing 

There were a handful of poor results today however which will hurt our chances for medals later on, such as Short not making the 800free final, which inevitably rules out his chances of a good result in the 1500m, opals  basketball with a ugly loss to Nigeria, Tokyo boxing bronze medalist Garside crashing out in the round of 16

Overall Day 3 went to plan in terms of the medals won.

TOTAL MEDAL COUNT

Gold- 5  Silver- 4  Bronze- 0

Day 4 :AUS Preview 

Another massive day for the team, with many medal chances although some tough ones.

I can see 3 gold medal chances today, with James willet in trap shooting, McKeown in 100 back swimming, and woman’s rugby sevens gold medal final.

Lots of important swimming heats underway aswell. 

Small chances for bronze today in men’s 4x200 relay and Haecker in woman’s 63kg judo. 

It will be tough, but goal for today is 2 golds won, and a bronze. 
We could win 3 golds today, or not even get 1. It will be tough

Massive day 💪💪

This day has really turned ugly quickly, but it was always gonna eventually happen….

Just poor results everywhere you look bar the win over Serbia in water polo.

That rugby result is horrible. I’m coping with it by saying that if we won that we would’ve lost to NZ anyway in the final. 

We BADLY need Kaylee to win later in the 100 back to rescue today.

Yeah pretty ordinary day so far. We haven't dropped any expected gold medals but we have dropped a few medals. 

Some positives:

• Mens Water Polo
  • Penny Smith looking good to qualify for the Womens Trap Final despite a poor start in the first round
  • Ebden/Peers moving the Men's Doubles QF where they will probably be favourites. Granollers/Carreno Busta weren't an easy pair to beat so that was a good win.
  • Grae Morris working his way back into the top 10 after looking not so great at the beginning although he isn't going to get the express route to the semis or final it seems.
  • Chalmers looks great for the 100m Free and looks like Qin Haiyang might not be as big of a threat to ZSC now as initially thought.
  • Martin and Diehm got the job done in BMX qualification

Other than that quite a bit of bad. Like yourself, my copium for the rugby is NZ would have been favourites in the 7's final and they've got a core of really good young players for the next olympic cycle 

McKeown's a massive one. In terms of saving the day it's probably the perfect event given the US-AUS swim rivalry. I'm also curious to see what the intent will be with the 4x200m relay. They could potentially have a very strong team on paper but I'm not expecting it given the timing of the 800m and 100m events.