website statistics

Team Ireland Daily Diary at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games

Adeleke won’t run the mixed relay. Disappointed by this as we are losing a big medal chance here. I know the flip side is that Adeleke will have a stronger chance of medaling in the individual but still going to be tough. Would have agreed she should skip the heat and if we qualify for the final then to sub her in but hey ho, looks like she is opted out of it completely. Seems mad to be honest.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/olympics/rhasidat-adeleke-likely-to-miss-irish-mixed-relay-teams-bid-for-olympic-medal-to-focus-on-400m-quest/a1880908355.html

I was fairly certain this would happen unfortunately. Firstly when she was pipped by Kaczmarek in Rome after doing the mixed and then even more so when Kaczmarek and Pryce ran those crazy fast 400m times just before the games. Obviously no hope of a medal in the mixed without her, and no late career glory for Tom Barr as a result. The big concern I have though is that she doesn't look like one of the best three in the individual 400 at the moment, so we end up with the worst of both worlds, no medal in the mixed and a fourth or fifth place finish for her in the individual event as well. 

I don’t think we’d have metalled with her in the mixed anyway. Too many countries with deeper squads than us and they’re starting to see it as a medal opportunity. 

We haven’t any man qualified individually while the others can bring out 3/4

Of course I could be proven to be a fool again when the teams are announced but if Adeleke gets her medal, she’ll be proving right 

If we use the results of each prelim races (with only the 10 boats remaining included) and use them as the final position in the medal race, this is what would happen in skiff/49er;

Gold

:ESP win it 9 times, :NZL win it 3 times  

Silver 

:IRL win it 5 times,

:NZL :USA win it twice,

:ESP:CRO :POL  once 

Bronze

:IRL:NZL:ESP:CRO:USA twice

:POL :GBR once 

Spain win a medal every time

Ireland and NZ win a medal 7 times

5 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Great stuff! We would have taken this bronze before the Olympics. Just don’t listen to RTÉ analysis if you want to stay sane :d 

I can’t stand that Harmedy guy. From day one I had to turn him off

7 minutes ago, dodge said:

I can’t stand that Harmedy guy. From day one I had to turn him off

He’s beyond awful and for someone who is supposed to have insider knowledge, he doesn’t have any realistic perception about the other crews around the world and his default is always that Ireland are gonna win and bet your house on it. So frustrating listening to that guff, imagine if that was BBC doing the same for their athletes, we’d be rightly calling out the BS.

Personally am avoiding RTE for the ad breaks alone, if there's any interesting post race stuff on RTE it will be on twitter anyway. Watching almost all of it on the no ads section of Discovery+ plus a bit of BBC coverage thrown in, though that grates at times as well.