website statistics

[POLL] - Which country will win the most total medals on Day 1 at the Paris 2024 Olympics?

POLL - who will win the most medals in total on Day 1 in Paris 2024 Olympics?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the most medals in total on Day 1 in Paris 2024 Olympics?

• Australia
    • Canada
    • China
    • France
    • Germany
    • Great Britain
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Netherlands
    • Poland
    • United States
    • Any other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 07:29 PM

1 hour ago, Styrka said:

At first glance, between the swimming, fencing, cycling and even skateboarding events, I would say that the clear favorite is :USA with :AUS close behind.

Bolder choices : :ITA as pointed by @phelps, but also :FRA with a bit of chauvinism !

I think French delegation is a serious favourite for a medal in two events :

• Rugby
  • Shirine Boukli in Judo W -48kg

... and a clear outsider in many more :

• Marie-Florence Candassamy is the reigning World Champion / Auriane Mallo was 1st and 3rd in the last two events this year (W Epee)
  • Our male sabre team is maybe our weakest in the six events of Fencing, but they still scored many podiums this year in the World Cup
  • Luke Mkheidze was 3rd in 2021, won one Grand Chelem and finished 2nd in two Grand Chelem tournaments this year (Judo M -60kg)
  • Océanne Muller et Lucas Kryzs had really good results this year too in the mixed event (Shooting - Mixed Team Air Rifle)
  • Aurélien Giraud was world champion in 2023 (and current world champion ?) in Street Skateboarding

I'd say :FRA is among the clear favourites also in men's Street Skateboarding...Giraud and Milou have great credentials

42 minutes ago, phelps said:

I'd say :FRA is among the clear favourites also in men's Street Skateboarding...Giraud and Milou have great credentials

Agree, :USA:JPN:POR:ARG:CAN should also be in the mix (some obviously way more likely than others…)

Current World Champs (not including Doha 2024 for swimming)

Men's Time Trial - :BEL:ITA:GBR

Women's Time Trial - :USA:AUS:AUT

Women's 3m Synchro - :CHN:AUS:GBR

Women's Individual Epee:FRA:ITA:ITA:CHN

Men's Individual Sabre - :USA:GEO:EGY:HUN

Women's 48kg - :MGL:ITA:KAZ:SWE

Men's 60kg - :GEO:TPE:JPN:KOR

Men's Rugby 7's - :FRA:ARG:FIJ

Mixed Team Air Rifle - :CHN:IRI:FRA

Men's Street - :JPN:JPN:JPN

Men's 400m Free - :AUS:TUN:GER

Women's 400m Free - :AUS:USA:NZL

Men's 4x100m Free - :AUS:ITA:USA

Women's 4x100m Free - :AUS:USA:CHN

Medal Table 

:AUS - 4,2,0

:USA - 2,2,1

:CHN - 2,0,2

:FRA - 2,0,1

:JPN - 1,1,2

:GEO - 1,1,0

:BEL - 1,0,0

:MGL - 1,0,0

:ITA - 0,4,1

:TPE - 0,1,0

:ARG - 0,1,0

:IRI - 0,1,0

:TUN - 0,1,0

:GBR - 0,0,2

:AUT - 0,0,1

:EGY - 0,0,1

:HUN - 0,0,1

:KAZ - 0,0,1

:SWE - 0,0,1

:KOR - 0,0,1

:FIJ -0,0,1

:GER - 0,0,1

:NZL- 0,0,1

From a GBR perspective there will be high hopes of a medal in the 4x1 men’s free relay (it’s going to be tight for gold with USA and AUS, with other contenders not out of the reckoning).

but main hope for the day will be Tarling. I have Tarling as the favourite for gold on such a flat parcours, followed by Evenepoel and Ganna.

1 hour ago, RussB said:

From a GBR perspective there will be high hopes of a medal in the 4x1 men’s free relay (it’s going to be tight for gold with USA and AUS, with other contenders not out of the reckoning).

but main hope for the day will be Tarling. I have Tarling as the favourite for gold on such a flat parcours, followed by Evenepoel and Ganna.

looking at this week's :AUS trials (and at the :GBR champs back in April), :AUS men's 4*100m free relay is not even a medal contender...it's :USA then :CHN and finally :ITA vs :GBR for bronze

11 minutes ago, phelps said:

looking at this week's :AUS trials (and at the :GBR champs back in April), :AUS men's 4*100m free relay is not even a medal contender...it's :USA then :CHN and finally :ITA vs :GBR for bronze

Fortunately the Olympics won’t follow the times of the trials precisely. China for instance perform certainly doesn’t follow a uniform pattern looking at previous champs. I expect Aus will be much faster than trials. US favs of course, but Brits will be hopeful of pushing them close.

1 minute ago, RussB said:

Fortunately the Olympics won’t follow the times of the trials precisely. China for instance perform certainly doesn’t follow a uniform pattern looking at previous champs. I expect Aus will be much faster than trials. US favs of course, but Brits will be hopeful of pushing them close.

yeah, in fact I expect :CHN to be not so good as people might think after the Trimetazidine controversy

meanwhile :AUS depends too much on Chalmers being perfectly healthy and in top shape, which at the moment is a big "if"

we'll see...surely, on paper this is going to be one of the races to watch, with 5 strong medal candidates

6 minutes ago, RussB said:

The issue for China is that if all the other nations put their strongest swimmers on the same leg as Pan, presumably 1st, then the Chinese team would lose a fair chunk of time compared to if he was swimming alone.

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

yeah, in fact I expect :CHN to be not so good as people might think after the Trimetazidine controversy

meanwhile :AUS depends too much on Chalmers being perfectly healthy and in top shape, which at the moment is a big "if"

we'll see...surely, on paper this is going to be one of the races to watch, with 5 strong medal candidates

Yeah this I agree with. It will be fast and close between the top few. I know confidence is high in the UK squad on this one, but probably need a jump forward by Alex/Jacob to really be a good medal threat.