website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC T20 World Cup 2024

7 hours ago, rajiv said:

People here have a very different attitude to these faux national teams to me.

I loathe these so-called national teams full of recent migrants and expats who can somehow get their hands on a passport.

It's pretty common in places like Qatar and even a so called mature sporting country like the UK is well known for making enquiries of people who may have a UK born grandparent

That's an easy position to take when tou have a country of 1.4 billion people obsessed with that one sport.

My view is 'loathe away', but don't expect the rest of us to care, or capitulate.

8 hours ago, rajiv said:

People here have a very different attitude to these faux national teams to me.

I loathe these so-called national teams full of recent migrants and expats who can somehow get their hands on a passport.

It's pretty common in places like Qatar and even a so called mature sporting country like the UK is well known for making enquiries of people who may have a UK born grandparent

And... it doesn't work. Other sports have been down this road. Rugby League in particular have filled their 'national' teams with foreigners playing World Cups and international events for decades now and has nothing to show in result in countries such as Italy. 

20 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

And... it doesn't work. Other sports have been down this road. Rugby League in particular have filled their 'national' teams with foreigners playing World Cups and international events for decades now and has nothing to show in result in countries such as Italy. 

Indeed there's not a chance that cricket will grow here outside of the (quite seclusive) Indian-Italian and Pakistani-Italian bubbles, even if they get to the World Cup or whatever. i'd prefer them starting to practice other sports tbh.

On 6/16/2024 at 7:02 PM, Epic Failure said:

A small amount but much less unfair. Rain ruined England's chances of a win in that game too! At least this way both sides completed the same number of games.

Run rate just seems like a lame way to decide it. Both teams beat :OMA and :NAM and lost to :AUS. The game against each other should have decided it, instead :ENG went through because they beat :OMA better.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

17 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

That's an easy position to take when tou have a country of 1.4 billion people obsessed with that one sport.

My view is 'loathe away', but don't expect the rest of us to care, or capitulate.

I guess that's  an understandable postion for someone who wants Ireland to be a major sporting country.

In the past The native Irish have done best through doping but that's harder now.

Wasn't your top Olympian a doper?

Weren't even your horses in equestrian doped?

Now you are doing better in athletics via immigration.If your team becomes as immigrant based as GB's is no doubt you will do better still

If you can minimise the number of ethnic Celtic types on Irish national sporting teams there should be grand days ahead for Irish sport.

5 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

Run rate just seems like a lame way to decide it. Both teams beat :OMA and :NAM and lost to :AUS. The game against each other should have decided it, instead :ENG went through because they beat :OMA better.

I agree that the game between them should have been the deciding factor but in the absence of that being possible, RR is the least bad alternative. They both played the same opponents, England's performances in those games collectively was stronger than Scotland's.

It's no different than going through a group in football on goal difference.

19 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Importing on its own never works. But it can work if there are other structural improvements made. That second point is the bigger issue in regards to league. It's barely a functioning sport anywhere outside of Australia these days.

Union has done a better job growing. We'll see which example cricket follows. I will say that cricket has seemingly done a reasonably solid job in recent years, especially in T20. Even Scotland and Ireland are leaps and bounds above where they were only 10-15 years ago.

4 hours ago, rajiv said:

I guess that's  an understandable postion for someone who wants Ireland to be a major sporting country.

In the past The native Irish have done best through doping but that's harder now.

Wasn't your top Olympian a doper?

Weren't even your horses in equestrian doped?

Now you are doing better in athletics via immigration.If your team becomes as immigrant based as GB's is no doubt you will do better still

If you can minimise the number of ethnic Celtic types on Irish national sporting teams there should be grand days ahead for Irish sport.

Is this an indian mocking other countries doping?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

17 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Importing on its own never works. But it can work if there are other structural improvements made. That second point is the bigger issue in regards to league. It's barely a functioning sport anywhere outside of Australia these days.

Union has done a better job growing. We'll see which example cricket follows. I will say that cricket has seemingly done a reasonably solid job in recent years, especially in T20. Even Scotland and Ireland are leaps and bounds above where they were only 10-15 years ago.

How many players do we really "import" anyway. A lot of them are just people of foreign background who are born here. It definitely happens but I'm not sure how many people are handpicked from some other country to represent Great Britain/England/Ireland/whatever

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold