website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2024

Totallympics

It's not. The National Championships don't even have first priority, and at best there's one athlete per event, who qualifies directly through the result of the National Championships. And that's not even taking into account, that it doesn't matter for most of the events, because there's barely any with more than three qualifiers. As I said, currently there's one, with a slight chance to bring the number up to three.

17 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

It's not. The National Championships don't even have first priority, and at best there's one athlete per event, who qualifies directly through the result of the National Championships. And that's not even taking into account, that it doesn't matter for most of the events, because there's barely any with more than three qualifiers. As I said, currently there's one, with a slight chance to bring the number up to three.

The fact that right now it doesn't matter for many events doesn't change the fact that the system is set up to value performance at those Champs. When the policy was created the selectors don't know who is or is not going to hit what target.

The only real difference between the German system - at least as you have described it - and the UK system -  is that we potentially assign 2 people based on the performance from our Champs, whereas you assign only 1.

I don’t see why there’s arguments. Different countries use different systems. No big deal. 

Every country will have a published selection criteria. For most it won’t involve too much selection drama but for GB they say first two at the national championships (if they have the standard). The USA has first 3

19 hours ago, dodge said:

I don’t see why there’s arguments. Different countries use different systems. No big deal. 

Every country will have a published selection criteria. For most it won’t involve too much selection drama but for GB they say first two at the national championships (if they have the standard). The USA has first 3

I mean the discussion was as much just talking about how do different countries do things. And I think there's some disagreement about what does or does not constitute a trial. It's all good.

4 hours ago, dodge said:

Don’t know if everyone has seen the entry lists have been updated 

Updated...but still out of date as there are still people showing in the entries who have withdrawn, including the Brits discussed earlier and Konstanze Klosterhalfen.