website statistics

Things You Would Change in Sports?

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Almost agree entirely, but not on cue sports - my feeling is that the definition of winter sports should be extended to include

- 'chamber' sports - that is sports designed specifically for indoor areans out of the elements, not just those that have kind of ended up there like judo and badminton, but sports to which being indoors is intrinsic, that have an almost clubroom/parlour game quality - and that's where cue sports - and darts - come in

- winter disciplines - events generally and habitually  played in poor, wintery conditions, but not necessarily snow and ice - two obvious ones are cyclocross and cross country running

There's no way you could have cue sports and darts during a winter Olympics, would cost far too much as you'd most likely have to build an entirely new venue(s) with where the winter games usually takes place whereas with the summer edition it'd cost next to nothing to facilitate. In the near future I can only see darts being included in a summer games with how popular it is, but that won't happen until there's an agreement between the amateur and professional sides of the game (to get the sport recognised) and until they solve the problem of trans women in women's darts. 

24 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

In the near future I can only see darts being included in a summer games with how popular it is

As a big fan of darts: I absolutely hope not :d 

That will genuinely receive more criticism than breaking.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

As a big fan of darts myself In genuinely think people won't be too bothered by it's inclusion. The whole origins of being a pub sport behind, it has much of a right to be considered for the Olympics as Archery and Shooting do. You don't exactly have to be athletic to do any of those sports. 

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

I think most people here would love a 3 week Olympic Games, but I'm not sure the general public has the attention for that. Most casual viewers I know say they're "done" by the end of the Olympics. It's sort of like Christmas; start too early and you take away the magic of it. 

I agree with eliminating the semi-finals in swimming, at least for the 200m races. I also agree with adding more track cycling events.

And now for my crazy idea. Hear me out! A team event in the field disciplines in athletics. Each country has a high jumper, long jumper, shot putter, hammer thrower, etc., for all 8 field events. They collect points like in decathlon. Countries must have 4 men and 4 women. Each athlete gets three jumps/throws. Not only would this be fun, but it gives field athletes a second opportunity to compete like most track athletes have. 

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Why do you think that - darts is objectively sport. Breaking is...a subjectively judged seizure.

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

As a big fan of darts myself In genuinely think people won't be too bothered by. The whole origins of being a pub sport behind, it has much of a right to be considered for the Olympics as Archery and Shooting do. You don't exactly have to be athletic to do any of those sports. 

Darts is to archery as snooker is to golf as table tennis is to tennis - absolutely nothing inherently problematic in darts or cue sports beyond perhaps understandable snobbery around their origins. Moreover, Darts and Snooker are both good at fiddling with formats to meet Olympic need, would require limited quotas, and the major players would be screaming to get selected.

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

There's no way you could have cue sports and darts during a winter Olympics, would cost far too much as you'd most likely have to build an entirely new venue(s) with where the winter games usually takes place whereas with the summer edition it'd cost next to nothing to facilitate. In the near future I can only see darts being included in a summer games with how popular it is, but that won't happen until there's an agreement between the amateur and professional sides of the game (to get the sport recognised) and until they solve the problem of trans women in women's darts. 

I'd have thought the darts and snooker relatively straightforward to hold, using only existing venues. What serious Olympic town doesn't have at minimum a theatre or town hall? You could put together a venue for pennies in comparison to most other sports