website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 2 2024

Totallympics

I think it's an important point to make about how hard some rounds are, particularly in the "amateur" game. One extremely tight round given to a fighter could be the difference. They don't watch TV angles either. They can only see whats in front of them from their own angle

3 minutes ago, dodge said:

I think it's an important point to make about how hard some rounds are, particularly in the "amateur" game. One extremely tight round given to a fighter could be the difference. They don't watch TV angles either. They can only see whats in front of them from their own angle

Did you watch Walsh - Zakhareev? (By the way, I do not think angles were so important there).

Our federation did all they can to broadcast all the bouts of our boxers, but that bout we have from another source.

41 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Expectations were around the same but have slightly increased now. We had 5 good draws and all those boxers are still there. Boro has made it through 2 difficult matches so far. The one today was pretty ugly and close. Boro had dominated 1st, Kazakh was better in 2nd and 3rd was pretty even. I thought Volossenko had done enough but Boro escaped the point deduction and somehow few combination punches helped her. Hoping for 4-5 boxers to qualify now. 

Oh. How did you get Boro's result? Is there any live stream?

17 minutes ago, avlar said:

Did you watch Walsh - Zakhareev? (By the way, I do not think angles were so important there).

Our federation did all they can to broadcast all the bouts of our boxers, but that bout we have from another source.

No. Haven’t watched it. I’m not suggesting you’re wrong or right. 

I’m just saying that the judges have different viewpoints so can literally see things differently. That’s all 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, sounak said:

Oh. How did you get Boro's result? Is there any live stream?

It was for her match on Kazakhstan boxing federation on Instagram with recording available on their YouTube channel. But from tomorrow you can watch easily on Olympic channel 

Edited by Fly_like_a_don

Day 6 (29 May) Session 12 (Night) Results:

Women's 60kg R16:

:UZB Tagirova - :SWE Alexiusson

:KAZ Volossenko - :IND Boro

:URU Piñeiro Muino - :VIE Ha

:CRO Beram - :SVK Jedinakova

:POL Budasz - :HUN Kukhta

:FIN Viitanen - :UKR Okhrei

:GBR Broadhurst - :CAN Smith

:KOR Oh - :MEX Falcon

Women's 66kg R32:

:NGR Oraekwe - :ARM Hovsepyan

:NZL Wharerau - :PNG Yama

:TJK Boboyorova - :CIV Sanogo

:IRL Walsh - :PRK Hwang

Men's 63,5kg R16:

:MAR Nadir - :MDA Paraschiv

:MGL Erdenebat - :BUL Rosenov

:GHA Commey - :USA García

:DEN Abou-Arab - :ESP Ibarreche Conde

:CUB Álvarez - :UKR Khartsyz

:ITA Malanga - :KAZ Mukhammedsabyr

:COL Viafara Fory - :DOM De la Cruz Báez

:AZE Hasanov - :JPN Nishiyama

Men's 71kg R16:

:GEO Madiev - :JOR Eashash

:IRL Walsh - :UKR Zakharieiev

:POL Durkacz - :BRA De Oliveira

:BEL Rachem - :CUB Cuellar

:ARM Madoyan - :MDA Cebotari

:IND Nishant Dev - :THA Yeasungnoen

:GBR Richardson - :MOZ Muxanga

:COL Rangel - :PUR Llanos Pérez

1 hour ago, dodge said:

No. Haven’t watched it. I’m not suggesting you’re wrong or right. 

I’m just saying that the judges have different viewpoints so can literally see things differently. That’s all 

Yes, I agree on the statement judges. 

By the way, what are the rules of the appeals at this tournament?

It is organized by the IOC not World Boxing or AIBA.

As far as I remember earlier the scores from judges could not be appealed. But the actions of referee could be appealed.

At the OG-2008 qualifying tournament (WCH) we used that rule to reinstate Lomachenko. He "lost" at the early stage, but was reinstated and won the tournament.

I am asking because our NOC is preparing an appeal to revise the bout - it is official information.

By the way the scores: 

image.png

and by round by judge

J1 - 9:10 - 10:9 - 10:9

J2 - 9:10 - 10:9 - 9:10

J3 - 10:9 - 9:10 - 10:9

J4 - 10:9 - 10:9 - 9:10

J5 - 9:10 - 9:10 - 9:10

There’s a great example. Not a single judge saw each of the 3 rounds the same way. 

If judge 1 gives the 3rd round against Walsh, then he loses. It’s so, so tight 

Posted (edited)

I had been thinking over the last couple of days that this thread had been remarkably civil and quiet for a boxing thread and then one controversial fight and boom, chaos.

season 2 episode 21 GIF by Star Wars

So this Aidan Walsh- Yurii Zakharieiev fight. I don't think this was a robbery. It was an ugly ugly fight that could have gone either way but it wasn't a robbery.

I have watched this fight a couple of times now and I don't think any of the three rounds had a clear winner. I think I have settled on Zakharieiev edged the first round and Walsh edged the 2nd and 3rd but it was much of a muchness in all 3 rounds. The only point I thought either boxer definitively got on top was the last minute or so where Zakharieiev tired a bit and Walsh's straight shots started to land.

Look I don't think Walsh could have had much to complain about had the decision gone the other way but there were about 6/7 clean quality punches landed in the entire fight so I don't Zakharieiev can complain much either. I think if you showed that fight to 100 judges 55 or so probably go in favour of Walsh with 45 or so going the other way.

However, I do think two point deductions for punching the back of the head was harsh on Zakharieiev (he did infringe like, just 2 warnings is harsh) but the ref gave that straight back the other way for holding which again can't really complain about. I think the ref in the third round kind of decided he wasn't going to decide the fight by disqualifying either boxer with a third deduction and just left it up to the judges because neither of them stopped infringing.

The other thing I would mention is that while I don't like that it is a criteria judges do sometimes judge fights on who was "in control" of a fight. Its a really ambigous criteria but judges do sometimes use it and I don't think you could argue that that fight was fought in the style or at the pace that Zakharieiev wanted it.

Look if a boxer I was supporting lost a fight like that to Walsh I would be frustrated and like even I get frustrated with Walsh's style sometimes because he is a really clean punch picker when he wants to be but in big fights like this one he just retreats into this ultra defensive style. I get it, it has served him well getting him to the previous Olympics against Ievgenii Barabanov :UKR and winning him commonwealth games against the then European finalists in Harris Akbar :ENG and Garan Croft :WAL but it is tough to watch.

But ye this fight could have gone either way and Ireland have had 3/4 of these type of decisions go against them at previous qualifying tournaments. Like Dmytro Lovchynskii :UKR was a little fortunate to get the decision this morning against Ifeanyi Onyekwere :NGR. I'm not saying they even out because they don't really (sample size is too small) but you do win some and lose some. I'm not aware of any official appeals process. The IBA used to overturn 3-2 decisions and they have their bout review thing now which is essentially a sped up version of the same thing. However, not a single fight at any of these qualifying tournaments has been overturned after an appeal.

Anyway the best part is at W54kg Jennifer Lehane :IRL meets Anastasiia Kovalchuk :UKR in what should also be a close fight so we will get to do this all over again on Saturday.

Edited by Ogreman