website statistics

Men's Basketball Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, stockblock said:

A few final thoughts from me regarding the future.  First The men's game is getting more balanced both Serbia  & France gave the USA a tough fight.  Africa is also getting better. At one time if you played the African team it was a easy win. No more. I am sure South Sudan would have made the quarterfinals had they not by luck of draw end up in the same group with USA & Serbia... Also note Nigeria did make the women's quarterfinals going 2-1 in group play.  One area that is going down is South America.  At one time Argentina & Brazil were top contenders. Brazil did qualify as the representative but Argentina didn't even win the last chance Americas tournament which Bahamas won

You are rigth, our basket is in a big crisis and i dont see a solution in the short term, the argentinian basket leadership is  complete corrupt and disastrous.

It's time to go to sleep with their imagery.. I found this American team detestable contemptuous towards our French basketball players. In no case, they have the Olympic spirit, they don't even stay in the Olympic village, but in a palace in Paris. We lost with honor, I am very proud of my French basketball players who did their best. And very happy that Embiid is not a French player, he is arrogant and in permanent provocation. It made me happy when the French booed him.

France never had a chance in that gold medal match. It's not because I'm Serbian but Serbia was the 2nd best team and came very close to probably the biggest success in history of our sport. Because I still people don't think how basketball is popular around the world, how strong it is in USA from grassroots levels to the NBA and how Serbia compares in all of that with them and yet one wide open missed shot or maybe one bad ref decision regarding the infamous 6pt play and it could've happen. 

It was said in the past and wasn't always and probably pretty rarely true but this time is a fact: The world is catching up with USA. These 12 players best of the best are not only the best, they have 3 players who literally are basketball gods. They have transcendent player like Curry, best shooter of all time and a guy beyond that who changed basketball forever. You don't get that kind of players in every generation, maybe not even in few generations. What was true about basketball before Steph isn't true anymore and I'm not talking about his tournament now, I'm talking about entire career. But what happens next is a good question for US. They will plug in younger players, new stars but they have a tough task reaching these heights and the world is improving dramatically and catching up. You can see that clearly in the NBA with only American MVP in the last 5 years being Embiid undeservedly too. 

Great tournament. Best in the history of sport. It's good thing that casual fans now see what we've seen all the time, that we live in a new era of atomic basketball. Either adjust to it or you're done. 

Edited by nenad