website statistics

2024 Canadian Olympic Athletics Trials Road to Paris 2024

Posted (edited)

Scenarios for Canadian men to qualify for the Olympics (Track Events)  (only in areas where quotas aren’t guaranteed, which is why you’re not seeing the men’s 100m/200m/3000m steeplechase)

@intoronto did the women. I’ll do a rundown on the field events tomorrow (sometime before Wednesday at the latest)

Note, some athletes updated ranking points (Harry Jerome Classic), I’m too lazy to calculate, so I’ll wait for the updated Road to Paris rankings to update. There’s also a meet in Montreal on June 21, entry list isn’t officially out yet, but as soon as it’s over, there’ll be a second update. 

Men’s 400m - Only 8 quotas are available through the Road to Paris rankings, and all of our athletes are nowhere near one. They’ll need to reach the entry standard of 45.00. Michael Roth, Austin Cole, Myles Misener-Daley, and Tyler Floyd are ones to watch out for. Callum Robinson, maybe, he ran well at the WA Relays, but has struggled in his individual 400m races. 

Men’s 800m - Zakary Mama-Yari and Matti Erickson are in PB setting form, but will need to chop off another second and a bit in order to reach the Olympic standard. Abdullahi Hassan will also need to most likely reach the Olympic standard. Not impossible for the three, but not likely either. No chance through the Road to Paris rankings for any of them (actually, it depends on if Abdullahi Hassan performs well enough on June 21)

Men’s 1500m - Kieran Lumb looks safe (40/45th, 1249 points with the Harry Jerome Classic not yet updated, 35 points clear of 46th), but if he can replicate his 3:34.50 from last year in addition to finishing 1st, it should guarantee him a spot through the Road to Paris rankings. 

Men’s 5000m - Thomas Fafard is the form of his life, and was so close to reaching the 13:05.00 Olympic standard (he was 0.07 off) about a month ago in Belgium. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t qualify automatically, but even if he doesn’t he should be one of the athletes in the rankings on the Road to Paris. He could go 13:20, and finish 2nd, that would net him 1217 points, putting him at an adjusted total of 1215 points, 41st in the Road to Paris but 27 points ahead of 43rd, and that might be enough. 13:15 would net him 1235 points (as long as he finishes 2nd), putting him at an adjusted total of 1221 points, 39th in the Road to Paris and 33 points ahead of 43rd. That should be more than enough. 

Men’s 110m Hurdles

According to my calculations, Craig Thorne’s recent 13.48 got him 1222 points, and his recent 13.72 got him 1175 points. Neither have been updated on the Road to Paris page. That would put him at 1207 points overall, or 43rd in the rankings. 13.50 and 1st, would be 1258 points, and increase his overall score to 1214 points and 42nd in the Road to Paris. Unfortunately, it’ll probably require a 13.30-13.33 to get into a World Rankings quota, and like @intoronto said it’ll still be close. 

Men’s 400m Hurdles

Malik Metivier opened up his season a week ago, with a very solid time of 49.07, just 0.37 away from the Olympic standard of 48.70. Unfortunately, he’s been injured since 2022, and this was his first race of the season, so no chance through the Road to Paris. 

Edited by Josh

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Bingham is not registered for nationals, and tbh i think she is retired.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C25FNwfOM7u/?igsh=YjdxOGwxeWJibHps

“#Paris2024”

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C40fLuysIAm/?igsh=d254bHJndnU3YmE4

According to this post from late March (22, to be exact), she’s been training. 

She could have retired since then, but I’m not quite so sure. Maybe there’s a minor injury, and she’s using this time to recover for the Olympics? Hopefully (not the injury, but that she hasn’t retired) she’ll be in Paris. Even if she gets overtaken on the Road to Paris individually in the 100m, surely she’ll be on the relay. 

Edited by Josh

@intoronto according to this, Walker had a 1227 point performance!

https://athleticscalculator.com/rns/ranking

At the Edmonton Athletics Invitational, for 4th in 56.78, she recorded 1178 points. At the Last Chance Qualifier, for 2nd in 56.18, 1146 points. At the Ed Moses Legends meet, she finished 5th in 56.94, but will net 1168 points. 

What I’m saying is that a strong top two performance at Olympic Trials, might (maybe should) be enough to secure her spot through World Rankings. Hope she competes at the Montreal meet to make sure of it. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2024 at 9:07 PM, Josh said:

Scenarios for Canadian men to qualify for the Olympics (Track Events)  (only in areas where quotas aren’t guaranteed, which is why you’re not seeing the men’s 100m/200m/3000m steeplechase)

@intoronto did the women. I’ll do a rundown on the field events tomorrow (sometime before Wednesday at the latest)

Note, some athletes updated ranking points (Harry Jerome Classic), I’m too lazy to calculate, so I’ll wait for the updated Road to Paris rankings to update. There’s also a meet in Montreal on June 21, entry list isn’t officially out yet, but as soon as it’s over, there’ll be a second update. 

Men’s 400m - Only 8 quotas are available through the Road to Paris rankings, and all of our athletes are nowhere near one. They’ll need to reach the entry standard of 45.00. Michael Roth, Austin Cole, Myles Misener-Daley, and Tyler Floyd are ones to watch out for. Callum Robinson, maybe, he ran well at the WA Relays, but has struggled in his individual 400m races. 

Men’s 800m - Zakary Mama-Yari and Matti Erickson are in PB setting form, but will need to chop off another second and a bit in order to reach the Olympic standard. Abdullahi Hassan will also need to most likely reach the Olympic standard. Not impossible for the three, but not likely either. No chance through the Road to Paris rankings for any of them (actually, it depends on if Abdullahi Hassan competes on June 21, and performs well enough)

Men’s 1500m - Kieran Lumb looks safe (40/45th, 1249 points with the Harry Jerome Classic not yet updated, 35 points clear of 46th), but if he can replicate his 3:34.50 from last year in addition to finishing 1st, it should guarantee him a spot through the Road to Paris rankings. 

Men’s 5000m - Thomas Fafard is the form of his life, and was so close to reaching the 13:05.00 Olympic standard (he was 0.07 off) about a month ago in Belgium. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t qualify automatically, but even if he doesn’t he should be one of the athletes in the rankings on the Road to Paris. He could go 13:20, and finish 2nd, that would net him 1217 points, putting him at an adjusted total of 1215 points, 41st in the Road to Paris but 27 points ahead of 43rd, and that might be enough. 13:15 would net him 1235 points (as long as he finishes 2nd), putting him at an adjusted total of 1221 points, 39th in the Road to Paris and 33 points ahead of 43rd. That should be more than enough. 

Men’s 110m Hurdles

According to my calculations, Craig Thorne’s recent 13.48 got him 1222 points, and his recent 13.72 got him 1175 points. Neither have been updated on the Road to Paris page. That would put him at 1207 points overall, or 43rd in the rankings. 13.50 and 1st, would be 1258 points, and increase his overall score to 1214 points and 42nd in the Road to Paris. Unfortunately, it’ll probably require a 13.30-13.33 to get into a World Rankings quota, and like @intoronto said it’ll still be close. 

Men’s 400m Hurdles

Malik Metivier opened up his season a week ago, with a very solid time of 49.07, just 0.37 away from the Olympic standard of 48.70. Unfortunately, he’s been injured since 2022, and this was his first race of the season, so no chance through the Road to Paris. 

Scenarios for Canadian men to qualify for the Olympics (Field Events)

Men’s High Jump - Somehow Django Lovett is 42nd in the Road to Paris, as his result from the NACAC Championships in 2022 still counts (not sure how). If he’s not competing in Montreal, he’ll need at least 2.20m and 1st (in addition to no one else improving on their scores at other meets) at minimum. 2.25m would put him in 28th, and in a much more favourable position. Basically, he needs a big SB. 

Men’s Triple Jump - If he’s not competing in Montreal in a couple of days, Praise Aniamaka will need to have a massive PB in order to reach the Olympic standard of 17.22m. Probably too much to ask for.

Edited by Josh

2 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Do you mean through the rankings? Surely we'll have 3 hammer throwers in Paris.

I also wouldn’t consider decathlon to be a “field event”

Posted (edited)

LePage is not entered for any of the trials events. Competing in 2 events is a requirement. 

I think he may be injured and won't go to Paris :mumble:

Edit:

https://athletics.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Internal-Nomination-Procedure-Paris-2024-Olympic-Games-V6-April-25-2024.pdf

Edited by intoronto

59 minutes ago, intoronto said:

LePage is not entered for any of the trials events. Competing in 2 events is a requirement. 

I think he may be injured and won't go to Paris :mumble:

Edit:

https://athletics.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Internal-Nomination-Procedure-Paris-2024-Olympic-Games-V6-April-25-2024.pdf

Explain this more is he okay?

Olympic Trials start tomorrow :cheer:

Unfortunately, there’s no where to watch it for free, so I’ll probably be constantly refreshing the live results. 

https://live.athletics.ca/meets/36627

Here’s a link.

Edited by Josh