website statistics

Fencing EFC European Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Fucks sake Stutchbury. Absolutely bottled that from 9-5 up. We go from potentially qualifying a team in Men's foil and athletes in Women's Foil and Men's Sabre via rankings to none at all. Shows how stupid the qualification criteria is when you prioritise team athletes over individual in the individual event. 

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Fucks sake Stutchbury. Absolutely bottled that from 9-5 up. We go from potentially qualifying a team in Men's foil and athletes in Women's Foil and Men's Sabre via rankings to none at all. Shows how stupid the qualification criteria is when you prioritise team athletes over individual in the individual event. 

Kiddo looks like a genuine talent; don't worry, she will make it to the next Olympics

1 minute ago, zob79 said:

Kiddo looks like a genuine talent; don't worry, she will make it to the next Olympics

I've got no doubt she will, but the fact that we're not gonna have a single fencer in Paris, barring a miracle, due to how stupid the qualification system is is a sorry state of affairs. 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I've got no doubt she will, but the fact that we're not gonna have a single fencer in Paris, barring a miracle, due to how stupid the qualification system is is a sorry state of affairs. 

Nothing can beat the stupid qualification rules in sailing anyway... Yesterday, the Italian crew in 49 became the victims. And all this because of constant fiddling with continental quotas and inventing some strange preferences based on unclear rules.

8 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

You have one, competing for Cyprus.

It's more the reward for how stupid and ignorant the British sport system is in regards to funding in sports where results are highly variable, i clearly remember they cut fencing funding to zero because Kruse lost the bronze medal bout in 2016 (while they had 1 medal target), until he won a WCh medal in 2018 or something. Zero funding despite having one of the best in the world in his weapon for a few years, no wonder you lost some potential.

Edited by Faramir

1 minute ago, copravolley said:

Nothing can beat the stupid qualification rules in sailing anyway... Yesterday, the Italian crew in 49 became the victims. And all this because of constant fiddling with continental quotas and inventing some strange preferences based on unclear rules.

Yeah I found the whole fiasco with the final qualifier strange as there were countries listed as qualified who were well behind a plethora of unqualified countries in the official results. 

2 minutes ago, Faramir said:

You have one, competing for Cyprus.

It's more the reward for how stupid and ignorant the British sport system is in regards to funding in sports where results are highly variable, i clearly remember they cut fencing funding to zero because Kruse lost the bronze medal bout in 2016, until he won a WCh medal in 2018 or something. 

I don't disagree with you there, but the qualification system is still mostly to blame as it limits the amount of individual athletes can qualify and effectively says "if other members of your team aren't good enough then your not good enough". 

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Yeah I found the whole fiasco with the final qualifier strange as there were countries listed as qualified who were well behind a plethora of unqualified countries in the official results. 

Look at rowing... During the European Championships, special qualifying regattas are organized for European countries that have won less than 2 qualifications in total at the World Championships. Moreover, in the same place. As if it wasn't possible to simply make an open European Championship and distribute the quotas to the best crews who havn`t yet qualified. In my opinion, the IOC and their stupid rules are to blame because these absurdities apply to virtually every sports federation.

Just now, Cinnamon Bun said:

I don't disagree with you there, but the qualification system is still mostly to blame as it limits the amount of individual athletes can qualify and effectively says "if other members of your team aren't good enough then your not good enough". 

Agree in theory but not in practice in this case: when your best was like 30th in the individual olympic ranking across all weapons, and the field is around 34 fencers, with any qualification system with continental limitations qualifying someone would be a coin toss