website statistics

Fencing EFC European Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Since France is not using any of its 8 host quotas, they are first awarded to tripartite nations. If they are not allocated, then they are awarded to the next highest ranked eligible athlete across all events. An event may only have a maximum of three additional entries so each event will have between 34 to 37 entrants.

So how many do you reckon will take up the tripartite offer and how likely is it for Stutchbury to get in? 

29 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

So how many do you reckon will take up the tripartite offer and how likely is it for Stutchbury to get in? 

Just looking at the rankings, I think there's pretty much zero chance she gets in.

There's more athletes higher ranked than her than there are places anyway I think, and that's assuming none of the places went to the tripartite.

Just now, Epic Failure said:

Just looking at the rankings, I think there's pretty much zero chance she gets in.

There's more athletes higher ranked than her than there are places anyway I think, and that's assuming none of the places went to the tripartite.

That's really annoying, they should be going to the 37 athlete limit in all events imo - that's now another gripe to be had with the qualification system. First time we haven't qualified an athlete in fencing too, which is pretty appalling. I guess we'll just have to qualify in a sport we didn't do in Tokyo to even things up, over to the Bello brothers in beach volleyball. 

They couldn't go up to 37 in every event without increasing the total quota.

Whilst it is disappointing not to have any British representation, it was always likely. Stutchbury was always on the edge. It's not a particularly egregious problem for the 30th ranked athlete to miss the games, when the field is 34. At least for me.

4 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

They couldn't go up to 37 in every event without increasing the total quota.

Whilst it is disappointing not to have any British representation, it was always likely. Stutchbury was always on the edge. It's not a particularly egregious problem for the 30th ranked athlete to miss the games, when the field is 34. At least for me.

While it may not sound too egregious like that, when you look at how the qualification system treats individual fencers then she's been very unfortunate not to qualify. The blame isn't solely on that though, as she should beat the Romanian yesterday and absolutely bottled it. Furthermore UK sport hasn't exactly helped by cutting the sport's funding over the years. The only thing, for me at least, which would make up for this is by qualifying in a sport we failed to do in Tokyo (excluding breaking as it's a new sport). Like I said earlier Beach Volleyball looks most likely so hopefully the Bello brothers can get their arses into gear and pick up some serious points over the next month so they don't have to go to the CEV qualifier. 

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

While it may not sound too egregious like that, when you look at how the qualification system treats individual fencers then she's been very unfortunate not to qualify. The blame isn't solely on that though, as she should beat the Romanian yesterday and absolutely bottled it. Furthermore UK sport hasn't exactly helped by cutting the sport's funding over the years. The only thing, for me at least, which would make up for this is by qualifying in a sport we failed to do in Tokyo (excluding breaking as it's a new sport). Like I said earlier Beach Volleyball looks most likely so hopefully the Bello brothers can get their arses into gear and pick up some serious points over the next month so they don't have to go to the CEV qualifier. 

The system isn't good for individual fencers, I agree. But even if it was entirely in favour of individual fencers, she would still, at best, be the 24th ranked athlete out of 34 (assuming 3 per nation above her).

So I think she's somewhat unfortunate, but I wouldn't go so far as very unfortunate - we're not talking about a top 10 athlete here missing out.

5 hours ago, MatiReimundo said:

Mens Epee:

Quota: :NED Tristan Tulen

Very happy for him! Interesting that we have another fencer after Bas Verweijlen (he also did epee I believe). Have to admit I didn't expect him to actually make it, but he did show some promising results in youth tournaments I believe.

2 hours ago, Jinzha said:

Very happy for him! Interesting that we have another fencer after Bas Verweijlen (he also did epee I believe). Have to admit I didn't expect him to actually make it, but he did show some promising results in youth tournaments I believe.

He also won a gold medal at last year's European Games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela