website statistics

Wrestling UWW Asian Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

13 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Does anyone know why there is 3/4 final for some certain categories

This is UWW after all, you shouldn't ask for logic :d

I wrote something about it during the African qualifiers. they want to have a true 3rd place finisher in case something happens to top 2. they do it only for weights with 6 or 7 entries (two groups format)

but this is funny because per rules. if less than 8 wrestlers participate. there will be no reallocation and if someone withdraws (or something else) the quota transfers to become a wild card. 

Edited by MHSN

Great day for China and India after a poor first day. North Korea also picks up three quotas, but still stings about losing the -50kg quota. They'll have a chance at the final world qualifier.

So the overall women's quotas going into the final world qualifier are as follows

:JPN - 6

:CHN - 4

:IND - 4

:KGZ - 3

:MGL - 3

:PRK - 3

:UZB - 1

Relative to 2020, Kazakhstan hasn't had much luck so far while Mongolia may go from having a full team to half the size.

Edited by JoshMartini007

any update on today's Greco-Roman Roman ???

On 4/18/2024 at 7:54 PM, MHSN said:

OK, let's take a look at freestyle draws

57kg:

the bracket is somehow balanced but the bottom half looks tougher to me

no clear favorite in the top half. I think 4 wrestlers have a chance to qualify. Zou (CHN) will face the Kyrgyz wrestler in the QF. and in other QF I expect to see MGL vs IRN. this is clearly our weakest weight and Mohammadnejad has a not-so-easy Russian (representing TJK) in the first round as well. I think any of these 4 wrestlers can qualify. 

we have 3 clear favorite in the bottom half, Aman (IND) the North Korean and Abdullaev. Aman has to beat Kazakhstan in the first round which is never easy. I always rank Aman very high but PRK in lightweight is something else and this guy won the silver in Hangzhou Asian Games. so I'm trying to not be biased so let's say :KGZ:IND

65kg:

while we have some challengers from KAZ, CHN and the russian mercenary of Bahrain, I think the first round match between Kudiev and Kiyooka will determine the top half quota. Kudiev is a very good Russian (recently bought by TJK) but Kiyooka beat the Olympic Champion Otoguro to make the Japanese team.

I'm very very surprised that MGL is not entering the Asian Games Champion Tulga. their new guy is not actually new and he was never impressive. I wonder how come he is #1 and Tulga is #2 !! he will face the host favorite Akmataliev. I think the winner of this match will qualify at the end but we also have Sujeet (IND) , I'm not familiar with him but he beat Bajrang back home. he has a big challenge in the first round against Jalalov (UZB) and last but not least is North Korea. Kim KJ won the bronze at the Asian Games and only lost to Tulga. in summary any of these 5 guys can qualify. this is a very tough weight in Asia. while I know I'm most probably wrong but I say :TJK:KGZ

74kg:

there are 5 or 6 quality wrestlers in the top half but I think one between Abdurakhmanov, Toktkomambetov or Asluev will qualify. Abdurakhmanov has a tough first round against the Russian-Tajik Evloev. if he wins I don't the QF will be challenging for him. I still pick the Olympic bronze medalist but I know he is getting old and is beatable now

there are two clear favorite, Kaipanov has a clean path to the SF and our Emami also most probably can win his QF with relative ease. Emami and Kaipanov are old rivals. they had couple of controversial matches before. Emami sometimes chokes when you don't expect him to but still I think :UZB:IRI

86kg:

3 Asian wrestlers are already qualified which makes this a bit easier. but still the draw is quite unbalanced and we have 3 favorite in the top half. Sharipov, Deepak and Ishiguro. I would pick Sharipov but he wrestled few days ago at the Asian Champs (although at 92kg) but still he will be a bit tired so I go with the winner of IND/JPN match, I think Deepak can prevail with his experience but it will be close. 

in bottom half I don't think the Kyrgyz wrestler can do much so it will be between CHN and MGL. my prediction :IND:CHN

97kg:
almost all of the favorite are in the bottom half and I think the top half will be between KAZ and CHN (slim chance for Korea) I give it to Yergali but I know the Chinese is well capable of beating him.

our Azarpira is the favorite for the quota but he has to face the worst possible opponent in the QF. Arash Yoshida if JPN has an Iranian father. he has the same style as our wrestlers mixing it with few Japanese tricks making him very dangerous. but still he is very young and this is his first serious 97kg competition. we also have Olympic bronze medalist grandpa Ibragimov and the Mongolian. any of these 4 wrestlers can qualify (sorry but I give no chance to India) still I think the top 2 seeds will make it :KAZ:IRI

125kg:
two big names in the first half, Deng (CHN) and Monkhtor (MGL) the last time they faced Deng beat the Mongolian narrowly but I think it will be different this time.

I see 4 guys capable of winning the quota in bottom half. Sharipov (the new Russian mercenary) looked good at the Asian Champs. he will be the favorite if he is not tired of back to back competitions. the giant Kazakh Batirmurzaev will be his biggest challenge, also Lazarev (KGZ) can be dangerous, he sometimes wins matches when you don't expect. also the former drug cheat Rakhimov is in the mix. I say :MGL:BRN

semifinals in Greco-Roman

60kg: :KAZ vs :TPE / :PRK vs :KOR

67kg: :KGZ vs :CHN / :JPN vs :KAZ

77kg: :KAZ vs :KOR / :CHN vs :IRI

87kg: :CHN vs :JOR / :IRI vs :UZB

97kg: :UZB vs :KGZ / :KSA vs :KOR

130kg: :KOR vs :JPN / :KAZ vs :KGZ

both of our guys made it to the SF but that was a very poor performance :(, I just hope they do better in the afternoon (like what the freestyle team did)

don't get too excited to see likes of KSA, TPE or JOR in the SF. they were just lucky with the draw :d