website statistics

Team GB at 2024 Olympic Qualifier Series Road to Paris 2024

Posted (edited)

Men's bouldering for the final just finished. Hamish (or Jumpy-B Hamish as @mpjmcevoy would obviously prefer he be known) finished it in 3rd place in a low scoring round with 43.8 and one top. There were only 5 tops total and only Adam Ondra got more than 1.

Lead in about 30 mins.

Edited by Epic Failure

18 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Men's bouldering for the final just finished. Hamish (or Jumpy-B Hamish as @mpjmcevoy would obviously prefer he be known) finished it in 3rd place in a low scoring round with 43.8 and one top. There were only 5 tops total and only Adam Ondra got more than 1.

Lead in about 30 mins.

Oh, definitely SpiderBoy Hamish

So, I got out my abacus, and by my calculation, Sky Brown on 130,000 pts has now definitely qualified for Paris. She currently sits an effective 9th when the 3 per nation rule is applied, so to lose out altogether she would need to drop 12 (effective) places minimum in Budapest. However, given the scoring system, it is not mathematically possible for 12 athletes currently below her right now all to get enough points to catch her - obviously, and one athlete can by winning in budapest to get 210,000 pts, but 11th only gets about 45,000 - I don't think there's any mathematical way that 12 athletes (not including 3perNOC duplicates_ can ALL get past her.

9 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I would say Skateboarding was a hiding to nothing from the moment sky pulled out, and I'm now not officially convinced she'll be fit for the Games. I expect the points she already has in the bag to be sufficient to get her there. I would need to know why Tambling DNS before opining on her, but all is far from lost. I quietly expect two quotas there when all is said and done.

Climbing has been very fruitful so far. I fully expected Roberts to be our only entrant, and was happy, frankly, to have him, but Hamish and erin have REALLY stepped up, Molly is not out of it, the rest are a bit stranded. But you'd take Hamish and Erin's position right now, you really would!

BMX free went about as well as could be hoped on the men's side. On the women's side, Charlotte has long ceased to be the same athlete that won inaugural gold, and that's ok - she did her post Tokyo job by guaranteeing one slot for the team in Glasgow. Sitting in 11 and 12 means they have work to do in Budapest, but again, all is far from lost.

I don't care about the breaking and whether B-Boy Shiny is edging out B-B wax'n'Trim, so goodness knows.

Away from Shanghai, It's been a decent day for the Brits (and lesser extent the Irish)

Irish first, Sharlene Mawdsley did what she's threeatened for a while, ran a major 400m PB and grabbed the OQT! Meanwhile Rhasidat executd poorly in the 200 in LA and still ran a highly exciting 22.4, beating several big names - the news that neither Syd or Femke are doing 400 in Paris made up for any disappointment. Very good runs from nick Griggs and Eiday. Lowry also showing some great form in valhalla.

for GB 3 new tickets were booked in Athletics (Megan Keith is a stormer of a talent), Shotgun (Matthew Colley profiting from Aaron Heading's poor last round) Table Tennis (.quite brilliant run from Anna Hursey) Disappointment in the BMX Racing worlds and some odd form in the European Canoe Slalom, although the work there on qualification is long since complete.

Plus Lina Nielsen took a big step towards selection in the 400m hurdles with her OQT in Poland yesterday.

Just caught up with the Lead final for the women. Erin stepped up with her best performance of the weekend in that discipline to wrap up 3rd place.

An outstanding performance when you think where she came in ranked. She's given herself a great chance of qualifying for Paris in Budapest.

• 1 month later...

what do GB athletes need to do at this event to qualify? am watching the climbing currently and the commentators are really bad in terms of saying who needs to do what to get in, rafa....i'm looking in your direction man with the answers :) 

1 hour ago, Olympicsnell said:

what do GB athletes need to do at this event to qualify? am watching the climbing currently and the commentators are really bad in terms of saying who needs to do what to get in, rafa....i'm looking in your direction man with the answers :) 

I've just moved abroad so not had much chance to look at this 2nd OQS - in fact, I actually forgot it started this week :d

It's probably a little early for the commentators to be predicting who could take the quotas - they might feel a bit braver in the lead round of the semi-final. But my thoughts for GB, starting with the strongest:

Erin McNiece: Had a great event in Shanghai but it looks like she's had a shaky start in the boulder rounds in Budapest. She needs to put in a solid lead round tomorrow to get into the semi finals. If she misses out on the semis, then that's her chances for Paris gone. Hopefully today was just a blip. If she can get into the final, then she should be safely in a qualifying spot. She could potentially also afford to bow in the semi finals if she can finish in the top 10-12, but it would depend on the results of others. The good thing for her is that there are some nations who have 2 athletes in the mix for a single quota for their nation e.g USA, JPN, FRA so it is possible that a top 14 position overall would still be enough for a quota

Hamish McArthur: Like McNiece, he had a great event in Shanghai although he may be disappointed that he didn't finish a little higher than 7th. If he can get to the final then he too should be safe for a quota. Unlike the women's event, there less nations who already have qualifiers so it's likely he will need a top 10 finish to guarantee the spot. 

Molly Thompson-Smith: She is currently in 11th place in the race for a quota so she could still sneak into a quota spot. Like McNiece, she needs to get through tomorrow's Lead round and get into the semi-finals. Then it becomes a case of trying to finish ahead of the likes of :KOR Kim Jain and :SLO Mia Krampl.

Will try to take a look at the results in more detail tomorrow though.

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I've just moved abroad so not had much chance to look at this 2nd OQS - in fact, I actually forgot it started this week :d

It's probably a little early for the commentators to be predicting who could take the quotas - they might feel a bit braver in the lead round of the semi-final. But my thoughts for GB, starting with the strongest:

Erin McNiece: Had a great event in Shanghai but it looks like she's had a shaky start in the boulder rounds in Budapest. She needs to put in a solid lead round tomorrow to get into the semi finals. If she misses out on the semis, then that's her chances for Paris gone. Hopefully today was just a blip. If she can get into the final, then she should be safely in a qualifying spot. She could potentially also afford to bow in the semi finals if she can finish in the top 10-12, but it would depend on the results of others. The good thing for her is that there are some nations who have 2 athletes in the mix for a single quota for their nation e.g USA, JPN, FRA so it is possible that a top 14 position overall would still be enough for a quota

Hamish McArthur: Like McNiece, he had a great event in Shanghai although he may be disappointed that he didn't finish a little higher than 7th. If he can get to the final then he too should be safe for a quota. Unlike the women's event, there less nations who already have qualifiers so it's likely he will need a top 10 finish to guarantee the spot. 

Molly Thompson-Smith: She is currently in 11th place in the race for a quota so she could still sneak into a quota spot. Like McNiece, she needs to get through tomorrow's Lead round and get into the semi-finals. Then it becomes a case of trying to finish ahead of the likes of :KOR Kim Jain and :SLO Mia Krampl.

Will try to take a look at the results in more detail tomorrow though.

ha thanks, i'm just to lazy to work it all out myself and you seem to enjoy it, congrats on moving off this rainy isle, that is my life ambition

57 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

ha thanks, i'm just to lazy to work it all out myself and you seem to enjoy it, congrats on moving off this rainy isle, that is my life ambition

Have trade one rainy isle for another - just the rain in :HKG is warmer :d