website statistics

Team GB at 2024 Olympic Qualifier Series Road to Paris 2024

28 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Eh the commentator is saying that :GBR :AUS and :USA will all qualify 3 riders for the men's BMX freestyle but the qualification document says the max is 2 per NOC? 

Having said that, the guy also said that they were in Singapore so maybe I shouldn't put too much trust into what he has been saying.

It's definitely 2 per nation max.

I think someone asked about this earlier, but I don't think Reilly can double qualify us. If I'm reading the qualification docs correctly (not guaranteed), if Reilly qualifies by name here, the place he got at the Worlds would be reassigned to an NOC that hadn't yet qualified.

I could be misreading it though, so don't quote me on that.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

It's definitely 2 per nation max.

I think someone asked about this earlier, but I don't think Reilly can double qualify us. If I'm reading the qualification docs correctly (not guaranteed), if Reilly qualifies by name here, the place he got at the Worlds would be reassigned to an NOC that hadn't yet qualified.

I could be misreading it though, so don't quote me on that.

I presume your reading between the crumbs rather than the lines right now!

Yep, the document is quite explicit that it is a maximum of two entries per gender per NOC

Edited by Nickyc707

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

I presume your reading between the crumbs rather than the lines right now!

Yep, the document is quite explicit that it is a maximum of two entries per gender per NOC

The document is explicit that the maximum entries per NOC was 2 which was why I was confused when the commentators this morning said that some nations could qualify 3. 

I think the point @Epic Failurewas raising was whether the same athlete could secure 2 quotas for their nation - qualifying through the OQS with a named quota and through the World Championship route with a second quota for their NOC. If I remember rightly back to the World Champs in Glasgow, there was a lot of discussion about whether riders could qualify 2 spots for their nation. :USA Hannah Roberts for example had "won" a quota at both the 2022 World Champs and 2023 World Champs and that seemed to be acceptable under the terms of the qualifying document as it stood at the time.

However, I see that the qualification document has been updated in February of this year which means that the 2023 world champs quotas will be reallocated to NOCs that have not qualified through the OQS although strangely, they haven't changed the terms for the 2022 World Champ quotas. 

Anyhow to answer the question @Epic Failurewas raising, no Declan Reilly can't double qualify GB unfortunately. And more than that, if Hessey or Jones gets into the top 6 and he doesn't, then the world champion would miss out on Paris all together. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The document is explicit that the maximum entries per NOC was 2 which was why I was confused when the commentators this morning said that some nations could qualify 3. 

I think the point @Epic Failurewas raising was whether the same athlete could secure 2 quotas for their nation - qualifying through the OQS with a named quota and through the World Championship route with a second quota for their NOC. If I remember rightly back to the World Champs in Glasgow, there was a lot of discussion about whether riders could qualify 2 spots for their nation. :USA Hannah Roberts for example had "won" a quota at both the 2022 World Champs and 2023 World Champs and that seemed to be acceptable under the terms of the qualifying document as it stood at the time.

However, I see that the qualification document has been updated in February of this year which means that the 2023 world champs quotas will be reallocated to NOCs that have not qualified through the OQS although strangely, they haven't changed the terms for the 2022 World Champ quotas. 

Anyhow to answer the question @Epic Failurewas raising, no Declan Reilly can't double qualify GB unfortunately. And more than that, if Hessey or Jones gets into the top 6 and he doesn't, then the world champion would miss out on Paris all together. 

My mistake.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

Another solid bouldering round by Erin and Hamish.

Hamish had 2 tops and sits 4th with 64.6.

Erin had 3 tops and sits 6th with 84.6.

The question is whether they can match that performance in lead.

Molly had a tougher day and sits 14th with 43.4. She'll hope for a better time in lead.

Lead section starts in about an hour. Top 8 get through to the final.

Both McArthur and McNiece advance to the final of the climbing combined.

Have to confess, I fell asleep after the boulder round but it doesn't look like McNiece had a great Lead round albeit it was quite a low scoring round but a score of 20 would suggest that she fell quite low down the wall.

McArthur's 45.1 was the 5th highest score so his main frustration likely to be a missed opportunity to get a 3rd top in the earlier boulder comp. 

Would it be fair to say that skateboarding as been a disaster, BMX great for the men, below par for the woman, and sport climbing (depending on finals tomorrow) should be very satisfactory, with so much sport this weekend I'm watching all of the climbing from this and flicking through everything else

3 hours ago, Olympicsnell said:

Would it be fair to say that skateboarding as been a disaster, BMX great for the men, below par for the woman, and sport climbing (depending on finals tomorrow) should be very satisfactory, with so much sport this weekend I'm watching all of the climbing from this and flicking through everything else

I would say Skateboarding was a hiding to nothing from the moment sky pulled out, and I'm now not officially convinced she'll be fit for the Games. I expect the points she already has in the bag to be sufficient to get her there. I would need to know why Tambling DNS before opining on her, but all is far from lost. I quietly expect two quotas there when all is said and done.

Climbing has been very fruitful so far. I fully expected Roberts to be our only entrant, and was happy, frankly, to have him, but Hamish and erin have REALLY stepped up, Molly is not out of it, the rest are a bit stranded. But you'd take Hamish and Erin's position right now, you really would!

BMX free went about as well as could be hoped on the men's side. On the women's side, Charlotte has long ceased to be the same athlete that won inaugural gold, and that's ok - she did her post Tokyo job by guaranteeing one slot for the team in Glasgow. Sitting in 11 and 12 means they have work to do in Budapest, but again, all is far from lost.

I don't care about the breaking and whether B-Boy Shiny is edging out B-B wax'n'Trim, so goodness knows.

Away from Shanghai, It's been a decent day for the Brits (and lesser extent the Irish)

Irish first, Sharlene Mawdsley did what she's threeatened for a while, ran a major 400m PB and grabbed the OQT! Meanwhile Rhasidat executd poorly in the 200 in LA and still ran a highly exciting 22.4, beating several big names - the news that neither Syd or Femke are doing 400 in Paris made up for any disappointment. Very good runs from nick Griggs and Eiday. Lowry also showing some great form in valhalla.

for GB 3 new tickets were booked in Athletics (Megan Keith is a stormer of a talent), Shotgun (Matthew Colley profiting from Aaron Heading's poor last round) Table Tennis (.quite brilliant run from Anna Hursey) Disappointment in the BMX Racing worlds and some odd form in the European Canoe Slalom, although the work there on qualification is long since complete.