website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I've got to say, threads like this one become more pleasant and engaging when you realise that you can block certain users who want to keep pushing conspiracy theories and endless negativity.

Yep. Treat a troll as a troll, and ignore their attempts to engage.

2 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Agreed, and I’m of the opinion that Freya would be in the top 30 anyway. The aim for Aquatics GB is medals, and so I would 100% put in Freya before Wilby or Bird.

If Freya is genuinely fit in time, she's going, no questions - she's too useful as a relay swimmer (where she tends to excel) - and cannot be completely rules out as an individual medal shout, albeit an outside one. If that means ticking upward slightly from 30 so be it.

So far the Champs have been absolutely on fire, suggesting the 30 limit will be tight. Trust me when I say that limit will magically vaomoosh if genuinely competitive swimmers exceed it - it was only ever there to allow GB to turn down individuals with no relay worth, and no real risk of top 8, who clawed in to the Olympic Q time. If, as looks possible at the moment, we might be on the crest of something special, that limit will prove a moveable feast.

Just now, mpjmcevoy said:

If Freya is genuinely fit in time, she's going, no questions - she's too useful as a relay swimmer (where she tends to excel) - and cannot be completely rules out as an individual medal shout, albeit an outside one. If that means ticking upward slightly from 30 so be it.

So far the Champs have been absolutely on fire, suggesting the 30 limit will be tight. Trust me when I say that limit will magically vaomoosh if genuinely competitive swimmers exceed it - it was only ever there to allow GB to turn down individuals with no relay worth, and no real risk of top 8, who clawed in to the Olympic Q time. If, as looks possible at the moment, we might be on the crest of something special, that limit will prove a moveable feast.

The fact Freya Colbert has already stated she doesn't intend to swim the 200 free in Paris only makes it more likely that Freya will get her seat, and Abbie, who is already in as a 4 x 2 free relay leg will come with her. Meanwhile Colbert is on the plane as a relay swimmer, thus may get to swim 400 I'm whether or not she makes the time.

Of those who have missed the time, Bird is at the greatest risk - I'd be stunned if Wilby is not included at a minimum as a relay only swimmer just to take heat off Adam - his sub minute 100 is already within Olympic measure, and he could well get the 200 time. For my money, the 4 relays girls,  Adam, James, Keanna, Laura are already all but on the plane, with Freya A almost certain if she regains full fitness. 

The notable thing so far is the number of 2nd place finishers getting the British Q time. That's a step up, I think on recent times outside the men's free 200.

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I've got to say, threads like this one become more pleasant and engaging when you realise that you can block certain users who want to keep pushing conspiracy theories and endless negativity.

Didn't realise there was an option to block someone without it ruining or disrupting your experience. Would've saved me bags of time yesterday when going on about Kieran Bird's chances of making the team yesterday - he didn't half clog up the chat with depressive comments. 

Really excited about tonight's session. Half the field in both back heats being in contention will make for some cracking racing, along with the prospects in the 1500 free and 200 breast. Even Beesley in the 200 fly looked really good this morning, am intrigued to see how he close he can get to the time. 

I'm intrigued to see what Kathleen Dawson manages in the 100 Back this evening - not only because she's :SCO and it has implications for the medley relay, but also it would be an amazing comeback story giving Dawson's back injury post Tokyo. She looked really impressive in the heats this morning.

From a relay perspective, we could really do with Dawson or Cox getting into a low 58 to give them a chance of hitting the nomination time of 3:56.89.

Great swim for Blocksidge - unfortunately not within the WA time or the BST and unlike a lot of the juniors, not a new PB - but her 6:13.39 would still have been enough for a top-12 finish at last year's world champs which is mightily impressive for a 14 year old.

In the end though, perhaps there was just too much pressure on her tonight.

Blocksidge's time is still astonishingly good for a junior, let alone a 14 year old jnr. She's almost 40 seconds inside the Euro Jnr standard. Hell, she was inside the Jnr standard for the 800m with the split from that 1500m.