website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

4 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but Angharad Evans has repaid the selectors faith as she set new national record at a meet in London at the end of May - would have thought that it would warrant a mention on the GB Aquatics site but evidently not. 

She absolutely smashed it as well. Very promising for her down in the 65s.

1 minute ago, RussB said:

She absolutely smashed it as well. Very promising for her down in the 65s.

I'm pretty sure she came back in close to or under WR pace, so if she can improve her early speed......    

I would assume she will be competing at Sette Colli next week with the rest of the squad, so we'll se what else she can do.

Just now, TeamGB said:

I'm pretty sure she came back in close to or under WR pace, so if she can improve her early speed......    

I would assume she will be competing at Sette Colli next week with the rest of the squad, so we'll se what else she can do.

Anyone got any idea what time she would probably have to go to make an Olympic final in the individual? 

4 minutes ago, RussB said:

Anyone got any idea what time she would probably have to go to make an Olympic final in the individual? 

1.06.31 made the final in Fukuoka, Angharad would have won Silver,

1.06.40 made it in Budapest, where Angharad would have won Gold.

1.06.59 made it in Tokyo, where she would have tied for bronze.

By my reckoning that time is pretty safe for a final, but I think she would need to drop into the 1.04's to get into medal contention, which isn't that unlikely.

Just now, TeamGB said:

1.06.31 made the final in Fukuoka, Angharad would have won Silver,

1.06.40 made it in Budapest, where Angharad would have won Gold.

1.06.59 made it in Tokyo, where she would have tied for bronze.

By my reckoning that time is pretty safe for a final, but I think she would need to drop into the 1.04's to get into medal contention, which isn't that unlikely.

Would certainly be a shock medal. I don’t think any of us had forecasted this one (nor swimming media channels I follow). I really hope the women’s squad come away with something individually, would be a nice boost for the continued development of the programme. Freya C in the 400 IM is the only one I really believe is a genuine chance.

1 minute ago, RussB said:

Would certainly be a shock medal. I don’t think any of us had forecasted this one (nor swimming media channels I follow). I really hope the women’s squad come away with something individually, would be a nice boost for the continued development of the programme. Freya C in the 400 IM is the only one I really believe is a genuine chance.

I'm starting to tend more to Angharad rather than Freya, just because of the Nature of their events. Angharad is ranked 8th in the world since the start of 2023, but moved to 6th when considering who will be in Paris.

Freya is 5th, 4th as Kaylee isn't swimming it, but she probably has a weaker trajectory, and is still 2s behind bronze. Forrester (3rd) was dealing was something at Aussie champs so her time there isn't really representative. (4.38).

Overall, I just feel like the 100m breast is more inconsistent internationally than the 400m IM, where Summer is just miles away from the rest of the world.

Just now, TeamGB said:

I'm starting to tend more to Angharad rather than Freya, just because of the Nature of their events. Angharad is ranked 8th in the world since the start of 2023, but moved to 6th when considering who will be in Paris.

Freya is 5th, 4th as Kaylee isn't swimming it, but she probably has a weaker trajectory, and is still 2s behind bronze. Forrester (3rd) was dealing was something at Aussie champs so her time there isn't really representative. (4.38).

Overall, I just feel like the 100m breast is more inconsistent internationally than the 400m IM, where Summer is just miles away from the rest of the world.

Possibly. I still feel in my heart Freya will win bronze as very much in my mind she is still in the upward arc of her development. Really has developed into a very talented swimmer at the highest level. summer is on a different plane and Grimes may prove too tough but I think Freya will be right there behind those 2.

Angharad we just need to see it on the biggest stage I guess in the other thing. At trials it seemed the pressure got the better of her going out a little bit too hard.

The results of the Aussie and US trials should give Freya confidence that she can mix it with them. Obviously Summer will be away and gone but neither Forrester nor Grimes looked that threatening. Obviously there is time for them to get back to their 2023 form but I'm more optimistic about Freya's chances than I was a month ago.

12 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

The results of the Aussie and US trials should give Freya confidence that she can mix it with them. Obviously Summer will be away and gone but neither Forrester nor Grimes looked that threatening. Obviously there is time for them to get back to their 2023 form but I'm more optimistic about Freya's chances than I was a month ago.

Agreed, although the results of the same trials should also be a big boost to Angharad, as Lilly king only swam 0.1 quicker than her, and the 2nd American swam a PB 0.6 behind Evans, and the Australians are still miles behind.

3 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Agreed, although the results of the same trials should also be a big boost to Angharad, as Lilly king only swam 0.1 quicker than her, and the 2nd American swam a PB 0.6 behind Evans, and the Australians are still miles behind.

They can both win medals and we can all feel justified in our opinions 😅