website statistics

GB Archery

:clap: :GBR into the final of the mixed recurve event. They took out top seeds :FRA in the quarterfinals and have just snuck through against :TUR in the semis.

:GER waiting for them in the final.

Just now, Rafa Maciel said:

:clap: :GBR into the final of the mixed recurve event. They took out top seeds :FRA in the quarterfinals and have just snuck through against :TUR in the semis.

:GER waiting for them in the final.

Of course they are into the final of the one competition that doesn't have Olympic quotas on offer! Similar issues in Mixed team skeet in the shooting!

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Of course they are into the final of the one competition that doesn't have Olympic quotas on offer! Similar issues in Mixed team skeet in the shooting!

Can't disagree with the sentiment, but I am in a positive mood today for a change - hopefully this is going to be a good omen for the rest of the team event tomorrow.

So all the Brits bow out by the quarter final stage.

In a surprising turn of events, Megan Havers - who going into the competition was perhaps expected to be our weakest archer - got the furthest. She lost in the quarter finals to French 12th seed Lisa Barbelin. 

There were some decent results for the team - Penny Healy took out the Italian 2nd seed in the last 32 and Havers dispatched the French 4th seed. That could bode well for this afternoon's team matches :fingers:

18 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Make that two non-Olympic finals, with ella gibson making the women's compound decider.

10 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Make that two non-Olympic finals, with ella gibson making the women's compound decider.

Given how popular archery is in UK I did think that compound archery had a good chance of being included in LA but alas it wasn't to be :( Wonder if she could be persuaded to switch to recurve before then :d

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Given how popular archery is in UK I did think that compound archery had a good chance of being included in LA but alas it wasn't to be :( Wonder if she could be persuaded to switch to recurve before then :d

As I understand it, the skill set is not actually directly transferable - there is, I think, a much greater strength element in recurve, where compound is more like darts - all about precision/steadiness.

Personally, I want them to go get inventive and have a form of moving field archery in actual forests, robin hood style. all this William Tell fixed position, fixed target stuff is all well and good, but I think Archery is missing a trick not asking to ake over the Mountain Bike course when the bikers are done with it, and creating a real test in the trees! You could set off in pairs through an eighteen target forest, it'd be a bit like golf, at timed intervals, interesting fixed camera positions - it'd be a gas!

Edited by mpjmcevoy

2 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

As I understand it, the skill set is not actually directly transferable - there is, I think, a much greater strength element in recurve, where compound is more like darts - all about precision/steadiness.

Personally, I want them to go get inventive and have a form of moving field archery in actual forests, robin hood style. all this William Tell fixed position, fixed target stuff is all well and good, but I think Archery is missing a trick not asking to ake over the Mountain Bike course when the bikers are done with it, and creating a real test in the trees!

You don't fancy archery Parthian style then?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

You don't fancy archery Parthian style then?

I thought that might work better in the Modern Pentathlon, in keeping with the cavalryman escape theme...

My 'wild archery' idea is probably closer to the early Rambo films...

how much cooler would it be if the disciplines were officially called 'Robin Hood', 'William Tell', 'Jack Rambo' and 'Dothraki Screamer' .....

Edited by mpjmcevoy