website statistics

GB Athletics

It's 3 for 3 from the Brits in :JAM

After Matt Hudson Smith won the 400m, Dina Asher Smith takes victory in the 200m with 22.51 and then Zharnel Hughes gets the hat trick, taking victory in 19.96.  

All 3 victories were within the OQS.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Does the Paris selection doc require Keely to run? I assume so.  If she runs it hard that would be great for Phoebe.  It will be a hell of a race!

Yes and no. All athletes are supposed to be at trials, barring injury or illness.

But the selection policy basically guarantees Keely the 3rd spot, as a WC medalist. So if she's not feeling 100% that week, she has an out more than most.

That being said, it is less likely that someone like Keely is going to go too crazy at trials. She doesn't need to go full throttle to still make the top 3.

Also, it's important to remember Phoebe is still only 17. She may well not yet have the consistency. If she doesn't match this time again this season, it wouldn't be the end of the world for her.

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

New 400m pb for Amber Anning - 49.51. 

Not just a PB but she's gone to #3 :GBR all time behind only Christine Ohuruogo and Kathy Cook. Only a tenth away from breaking Christine's British record. 

Posted (edited)

In other news, various Euro Champs qualification times achieved today including:

100m - Louis Hinchcliffe - 10:16

800m - Callum Dodds 1:44.79 and Tom Randolph 1:44.91

Steeple - Phil Norman - 8:21.09

Obviously all will hope to go faster and get Olympic Q times. But Euro Q's shouldn't sniffed at, especially for some younger runners. :)

Edited by Epic Failure

6 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Not just a PB but she's gone to #3 :GBR all time behind only Christine Ohuruogo and Kathy Cook. Only a tenth away from breaking Christine's British record. 

The big step forward has happened! Very excited for the women's 4x4 relay this summer; If we can have Amber, Victoria, Laviai and Nicole in shape the quartet could be very dangerous

7 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Yes and no. All athletes are supposed to be at trials, barring injury or illness.

But the selection policy basically guarantees Keely the 3rd spot, as a WC medalist. So if she's not feeling 100% that week, she has an out more than most.

That being said, it is less likely that someone like Keely is going to go too crazy at trials. She doesn't need to go full throttle to still make the top 3.

Also, it's important to remember Phoebe is still only 17. She may well not yet have the consistency. If she doesn't match this time again this season, it wouldn't be the end of the world for her.

Do we know if Keely is done with the 400 relay? I assume so for this season at least. Thinking about it some more,  I'll be surprised to see her at Trials. If she goes, you're right, she's unlikely to push the pace.

I'm not forgetting that PG is 17; it's a huge part of the point:) What I'll say next will sound a bit contradictory but I don't have expectations of her but it is fun to speculate (I get that that is a kind of an expectation). My comments here are a drop in the ocean of expectations compared to the impact of things on twitter  Instagram and the article on BBC sport.

Whether she can replicate yesterday this season or ever (I remember Charlotte Moore and others), PG has made herself a live and very interesting part of the conversation and it's fair to discuss that. Isn't it? The other thing PG has done over the last year (two actually, but results of 15 year olds need to be taken with 10 times as much salt even compared with those of 17 year olds) is pretty much always run with the same intent as yesterday. The time yesterday was extraordinary but not exactly out of the blue. We'd all seen her results and, here's that word, 'expected' 1.59 this season.  

If she decides to run U20 (U18 would be a bit pointless given her ability) then fair play. I'll watch with interest. For what it's worth, I don't think she will, otherwise why run in Belfast?

Given I watched the livestream myself, fairly confident that KJT opened her outdoor season today. Competing in the 100m hurdles at Horst Mandl Memorial :AUT. She finished 5th in her heat with 13.68. 

She's due to go in the javelin later this afternoon