website statistics

Beach Volleyball 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

20 minutes ago, Josh said:

I won’t have the time to follow it either, sorry :facepalm:

Any idea who the favourites are? I have no idea if these juniors also have a Pro Tour-like circuit, otherwise it's rather hard to compare teams :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Any idea who the favourites are? I have no idea if these juniors also have a Pro Tour-like circuit, otherwise it's rather hard to compare teams :p 

:ITA Iurisci/Zoeschg and :AUT Berger/Hohenauer are the reigning U18 European Champions 

:USA Massey won silver with Pater last year, and has made a semi-deep run at AVP Virginia with Perez (according to their seeding anyways) and her and Davis should be medal contenders. 

:BRA Julhia/Marcela, :AUS Rayner/Zajer, and :BRA Juca/Gabriel are some of the other ones to watch out for. 

To my knowledge, no they do not have an equivalent to the seniors, so for above it was kind of hard to figure out who some of the favourites might be (maybe I’ll do more research later)

But if they do, it’s kind of hard to try and follow, even if you want to, because the majority of the events, besides the U19/U21 World Championships of course, don’t show up on the Volleyball World site (and there’s no Junior Volleyball World site, or anything of that sort…)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• When you have complete control of a population of a billion or so, you can use the Jan Ullrich model.   As famously described, I think, by Tyler Hamilton, regardless of the doping, you had to understand Ullrich was ( a bit like Katrin Krabbe) the last prodigy of the east german system - and that system was notorious even beyond doping - it simply threw every talented egg it had as hard as it could at the wall, then selected the one's that  coped best in the long run - As Hamilton put it - Ullrich was the egg that couldn't break, except once GDR died, the system collapsed, and Jan found beer.   I get the feeling the Chinese trow a lot of eggs at a lot of walls, in the hope of finding a few that won't crack. What happens the broken eggs is not a matter that concerns the system greatly.
    • Part of the Paralympic Torch Relay visited the celebrations held as part of the 80th anniversary of Paris’ liberation during World War 2.    
    • Yeah you do have to worry whether she is being taken advantage of in someway by the Chinese coaches, and being forced to overtrain. Clearly those performances are wildly impressive, but my 2 caveats.   China has a long history of falsifying ages of swimmers, although those performances for a swimmer several years older than 11 would still be crazy.   Genetically, younger Chinese females have excellent swimming Physiques, being very tall and thin As they develop they grow wider and lose some of that benefical body shape.    There have been many younger Chinese swimmers in the past who have put in draw dropping times and then faded in obscurity.   Despite this, her performances and her depth are remarkable and she could be a generational talent, but we can’t jump on the bandwagon yet.    
    • Dame Lisa Marie Carrington for sure mopped the floor with Shtyl, having 23 combined golds from Olympics + WChs (8+15), while Shtyl has only one medal from the Olympics and it's not gold.   
    • Not saying she’s doping or anything, but the time is so incredible (it’s good even for 17-18 year olds) that I begin to wonder what the Chinese coaches are putting her through during training.    I mean, she raced in 10 events at the Chinese Olympic Trials… even Phelps at Beijing 2008 didn’t have a schedule that big…   Either way to me it’s hard to see her performing at the highest level beyond her 20s. 
    • I legitimately can't comprehend this   https://swimswam.com/11-yr-old-yu-zidi-crushes-20986200fly-21257-200im-at-chinese-summer-championships/
    • World championships were supposed to start tomorrow in Andorra, but it looks like the shorttrack qualifiers that were scheduled for tomorrow have all been cancelled or something? First action is now on Wednesday with downhill qualifying.
    • Maria Sakkari with another R1 loss in Grand Slam. This time she retired injured after the first set. I don't remember a Top 10 player losing so many R1 matches in Grand Slam tbh.