website statistics

Weightlifting IWF Grand Prix II 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

just one remarkable news in the women's +87kg class

:USA Mary Anne Theisen Lappen wins Gold with 120-163-283kg, improving her best Total by 6kg and overtaking by 1 kilo her compatriot Sarah Robles in the OQR.

Now she's the best American lifter in this class (5th useful place).

:THA Duangaksorn Chaidee won Today's Silver with 121-152-273kg, but she didn't improve her best Total in the OQR.

Still, she's 4th in the OQR, so, her qualification is definitely not in danger.

Also :SAM Iuniarra Sipaia, despite the overall Bronze medal in Today's event, didn't improve her best Total in the OQR, but mantained her 9th useful place in that ranking.

That's all from the women's competitions in the Grand Prix II in Doha.

Later Today, the last event of this tournament, the men's Superheavyweights.

35 minutes ago, rybak said:

@phelps Anybody from Poland have bigger chances for quota after this event, or its wishful thinking?

at the moment no, but 2 or 3 of your weightlifters are in top 20. and not very far behind the 10th place record. still needs to improve something like 10kg

but personally I think anybody in top 15 may qualify eventually. officially top 10 will go to Paris but we know this sport. it's always possible to have last minute injuries, disqualifications, also NOCs are limited to only 3 in each gender which will remove some weightlifters from the list too

last event in Doha, the men's +109kg class

and, except for Lalayan, another really modest competition.

:ARM won Gold & Silver, thanks to the above mentioned Lalayan (441kg Total, not enough to improve his numbers in the OQR) and Simon Martirosyan (430kg, also far away from his best Total in the OQR and still behind his teammate in that ranking).

Bronze went to the Neutral Athlete (originally from :BLR) Eduard Ziaziulin, once again way behind his best Total in the OQR (but he's still in good position to qualify).

The only man improving his ranking Today is :JPN Eishiro Murakami, who finished in 4th place with a Total of 413kg, which means that now he's the best man from :JPN in the OQR, where he climbed from way down the ladder to the 15th place overall, but 12th Nation represented, just 6 and 7 kilos from the 9th and 10th useful places, respectively.

That's all for what concerns the GP II in Doha.

Next OQTs are the various Continental Championships (all of them in February), before the last chance, the World Cup in :THA at the beginning of April 2024.

Edited by phelps

After GP in Doha I prepared a simulation of men's tournament. There are some special rules in weightlifting such as maximum of 3 per NOC. For France I decided to choose Imadouchene (89), Coullet (+102) and Kingue Matam (73).

61 kg 73 kg 89 kg 102 kg >102 kg
CHN INA CHN CHN GEO
ITA THA BUL QAT BRN
INA JPN COL KOR ARM
THA LAT VEN BRN IRI
GEO KOR IRI AIN SYR
PHI BUL ITA ARM UZB
MAS ESP ARM GEO EGY
BUL ITA EGY IRI AIN
VIE TUR CAN MDA ALG
USA VEN AIN KGZ IRQ
CUB TUN USA USA NZL
GER FRA FRA FRA KOR

12 hours ago, Gagaska93 said:

After GP in Doha I prepared a simulation of men's tournament. There are some special rules in weightlifting such as maximum of 3 per NOC. For France I decided to choose Imadouchene (89), Coullet (+102) and Kingue Matam (73).

61 kg 73 kg 89 kg 102 kg >102 kg
CHN INA CHN CHN GEO
ITA THA BUL QAT BRN
INA JPN COL KOR ARM
THA LAT VEN BRN IRI
GEO KOR IRI AIN SYR
PHI BUL ITA ARM UZB
MAS ESP ARM GEO EGY
BUL ITA EGY IRI AIN
VIE TUR CAN MDA ALG
USA VEN AIN KGZ IRQ
CUB TUN USA USA NZL
GER FRA FRA FRA KOR

I wouldn't take for granted that :CHN would eventually choose those 3 weight classes

if Shi is reasonably healthy, they might take him (in the -73kg) over Li and Tian in the -89kg, where they don't have any chance for Gold and even getting a miserable (for them) bronze might prove very difficult

we'll see...:mumble:

6 hours ago, phelps said:

I wouldn't take for granted that :CHN would eventually choose those 3 weight classes

if Shi is reasonably healthy, they might take him (in the -73kg) over Li and Tian in the -89kg, where they don't have any chance for Gold and even getting a miserable (for them) bronze might prove very difficult

we'll see...:mumble:

Yes, you are right, it is a hard decision but.. what about women's categories? I don't know who would be dismissed by China. All 5 Chinese are great and if there wouldn't be limited to 3 weight classes, China would have 5 gold medals. What do you think?
In my opinion they would choose Li Wenwen (+89 kg), Liang (81) and Jiang (49).

3 hours ago, Gagaska93 said:

Yes, you are right, it is a hard decision but.. what about women's categories? I don't know who would be dismissed by China. All 5 Chinese are great and if there wouldn't be limited to 3 weight classes, China would have 5 gold medals. What do you think?
In my opinion they would choose Li Wenwen (+89 kg), Liang (81) and Jiang (49).

yeah, among the women it's pretty safe that they will choose -49kg, -81kg, +81kg (even if I wouldn't be surprised if they still go for the -71kg instead of the -81kg, but it's unlikey to happen)