website statistics

If there is one European Union NOC at summer olympics...

rafalgorka

If there is one European Union NOC at summer olympics... how would it look like?

I mean, I love EU, I do!!!! but I wouldn't like to see that. Independent countries within EU are best possible situation.

But... if it happened, if EU was United States of Europe - like USA - how would it be? How would their team look like in an olympics with an outside-EU host (e.g. LA 28)???

I wonder how would qualifications look like, whether all the team sports would be there for EU team, what would be their biggest medal chances, who would get much more medals than normal (USA, China, GB, Australia or others...)

Maybe a stupid idea but... after these last elections in Poland I think a bit how USE (United States of Europe) would look like...

Edited by rafalgorka

A team EU would utterly dominate the medal table. Looking at 2020, they would have won 89 events and then you have to consider combined teams would have upgraded their results to gold so I imagine an EU team would win over 100 events.

Due to athlete limits per nations in events many silver and bronze medals would be up for grabs which will likely go to the remaining big nations. Many of Canada's 4th places would now be medals.

With that said the IOC would probably let the EU nations compete separately (some kind of "Grandfather clause") the drop in competitiveness would wreck the Olympics.

Edited by JoshMartini007

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 3:11 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

A team EU would utterly dominate the medal table. Looking at 2020, they would have won 89 events and then you have to consider combined teams would have upgraded their results to gold so I imagine an EU team would win over 100 events.

No they wouldn’t, because a Pan-EU team would be picked on political lines, so you’d gave Maltese sprinters, Cypriot ski jumpers, Irish baseball players, Lithuanian rugby players etc etc.

30 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

No they wouldn’t, because a Pan-EU team would be picked on political lines, so you’d gave Maltese sprinters, Cypriot ski jumpers, Irish baseball players, Lithuanian rugby players etc etc.

Why would they? If the EU was one country they'd just pick the best athletes. The United States does not ensure equal representation across all states, they just pick the best.

2 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Why would they? If the EU was one country they'd just pick the best athletes. The United States does not ensure equal representation across all states, they just pick the best.

Exactly . Team GB chooses their best athletes as well, No :SCO for handball, :ENG for basketball, :WAL for volleyball and :NIR for baseball and :IOM for water polo

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Well, your obvious flaw is that under a pan-:EUU flag, about 20 of the 27 pre-:EUU countries would never send any sportspeople to the Olympics at all.

Just now, Grassmarket said:

Well, your obvious flaw is that under a pan-:EUU flag, about 20 of the 27 pre-:EUU countries would never send any sportspeople to the Olympics at all.

True. This is true in a lot of other aspects of life, not olympic sports only

that is why i am happy there is No United States of Europe and our discussion here is only what ifs…

2 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Exactly . Team GB chooses their best athletes as well, No :SCO for handball, :ENG for basketball, :WAL for volleyball and :NIR for baseball and :IOM for water polo

Not the case for the hockey teams, the women’s football team or the rugby 7s squad, which are always subject to lobbying.

2 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Not the case for the hockey teams, the women’s football team or the rugby 7s squad, which are always subject to lobbying.

And i find hard to understand why they are succesfull in this lobbying. I don’t know much about UK but this is one of the proves that you should finally decide whether you are one country or not

Edited by rafalgorka