website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Could be a very good medal haul for the Netherlands. 8 or 9 medals in olympic events seem possible (2 medals by Schouten, 2 medals by Kamminga, 1 medal by Corbeau, 2 medals by Steenbergen, women's 4 x 100 free relay, Korstanje). At the olympics that ceiling should be 5 medals (2 x Kamminga, 2 x Schouten, 1 x Steenbergen).

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Not sure what to make of Gose's and Märtens' performances. Gose set a new national record, but i absolutely don't see her challenging Titmus, Ledecky, McIntosh or Fairweather in Paris. Even Li Bingjie and Pallister might be out of reach. The 1500 free seems like her best shot if she can get down to sub 15:45.

Märtens was ill for many weeks and should be way off 100 %, but him only finishing 3rd without Short/Hafnaoui isn't super encouraging. It will be interesting to see if he will plan to swim the 800 free at the olympics. He will focus on the 200 free here, but in the 800 free he might be closer to a medal.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

38 minutes ago, intoronto said:

:CAN winning bronze without arguably it 3 best swimmers shows how low quality this event is tbh

And :POL:clap:

MacNeil, McIntosh and ... ? Will be interesting to see how many relays McIntosh will swim in Paris, given her packed schedule.

25 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

MacNeil, McIntosh and ... ? Will be interesting to see how many relays McIntosh will swim in Paris, given her packed schedule.

Think @intoronto is talking about Oleksiak, but I’m not sure. 

3 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Let's say that both Wellbrock and Schwarz finish top 4 in the 800m freestyle. Does that mean that Märtens has no chance of swimming that event in Paris?

I forgot to add this: In this case only the better ranked is automatically qualified.

57 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Märtens was ill for many weeks and should be way off 100 %, but him only finishing 3rd without Short/Hafnaoui isn't super encouraging. It will be interesting to see if he will plan to swim the 800 free at the olympics. He will focus on the 200 free here, but in the 800 free he might be closer to a medal.

Hafnaoui actually was there, but he missed the final.

3 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Hafnaoui actually was there, but he missed the final.

I know, i meant that Short and Hafnaoui both were non-factors. Hafanoui apparently ended his studies in the U.S. and then had to go back to Tunisia waiting for a new visa, so it is understandable that he wasn't anywhere near his best. He still has enough time to turn it around before Paris.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Think @intoronto is talking about Oleksiak, but I’m not sure. 

Didn't know that she is still considered relevant. When was the last time that she produced a fast time? I think even someone like Jansen might be more relevant, but we will see. I think Australia, USA, China and probably even GB are bigger favorites for Paris, so it might be best for McIntosh to drop the 4 x 100 free relay, but maybe things will look different after trials.