website statistics

Best Sports Moments of The (Correct) Decade From 2010-2019

Olympian1010

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, decades aren’t really used in historical terms that often for this reason I would imagine. Also, okay the “first year” is year 1. 10-1 = 9 by @Monzanator method. So a decade is actually 1-11, so 2001-2011 is a decade then? That’s why I’m saying calendars aren’t exactly scientific. 

Also, the American method or writing dates is clearly superior, and I will not have it any other way. 

It's not my method :finger: I didn't invent the Gregorian calendar :p

Centuries are measured different than decades so actually I agree with the 2010-2019 context but 21st century still started on January 1st, 2001.

It could be worse, the Russian communists celebrate the October Revolution on November 7th (bc Russia adopted the Gregorian calendar after it took place :p).

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Also, okay the “first year” is year 1. 10-1 = 9 by @Monzanator method. So a decade is actually 1-11, so 2001-2011 is a decade then?

Lol, no.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. That's 10 numbers - 10 years.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. That's 10 numbers - 10 years.

Are you sure about that? Could you count them out for me in a table?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Centuries are measured different than decades so actually I agree with the 2010-2019 context but 21st century still started on January 1st, 2001.

If Centuries start on zero, then decades also must start on zero (and they do). :p

Otherwise...

the breakfast club love GIF

#banbestmen

25 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m not trying to spread lies or take over the world. It’s not a lie. It’s an opinion. We’re all allowed have those, even if they comply us to argue with the same user every fucking day. 

I’m going to try an explain my logic here, and with a cool head. All I ask is that you give it serious though instead of trying to come up with your next sick burn. Humans hate the unknown. We choose to label, group, and categorize everything. That’s fine, it’s an evolutionary trait. Years are factual in the fact that one rotation of the Earth around the sun does equal somewhere between 364/365 days. However, there is no “first year”, not at least one that civilization can remember. We hate the unknown, so we choose an arbitrary date, and make that the beginning. Calendars only exist to help us plan our days, keep track of history, and give us a sense of security. Now, you can choose to go be official calendar rules, but for the purpose of this thread I’m counting the last ten years of human history.

Yes because of the numerous times when I referred to the country of Africa :facepalm:. The point isn’t to win a debate, it’s to inform ourselves and mutually settle differences. The “winner” of a debate is human knowledge. If you come on to this forum only trying to “win” a debate, we’ve already all lost. Now, there is a winner to an argument in the court of public opinion, but even then it’s an asinine victory. You’ve made someone feel worse, reverted to personal attacks, and failed to actually better a situation in any way. I was not trying to change the Gregorian calendar, I was merely offering an interpretation of it. Everything can be statistical data by the way, that’s like the first thing you learn in statistics.

I am allowed to make mistakes. Now, I do hate owning up to them, and that’s weakness on my side. I was wrong about a part of European history, but to be fair, European history is long and complicated, and not always as clear-cut as modern Europeans make it out to be. I do come on this forum and think “what lies am I going to spread today!”. I come on here to share facts, my opinion, and sometimes a heartfelt post. Sometimes I can interpret facts wrong, and I need to be corrected. I need to work on accepting that I can be wrong.

That's a fine essay. I understand you're an ideallistic teenager willing to fight anyone over anything. Gregorian calendar isn't up for debate though, sorry my friend. Some wiser people have decided that discussion for us long before time - well, in 16th century (plus simple maths and the fact Year 0 never happened). The status of Pluto is up for debate instead. You can talk whether it's a planet or a dwarf planet (I kinda don't care as astronomy is not my thing) and put an opinion forward.

I know you can tell a difference between Africa and actual countries but it's the classic stereotype you're following. You don't have to pretend Americans aren't narcisstic enough :p You elected the biggest narcisstic guy as President after all.

22 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

SAFER barriers and the deaths of Greg Moore and Dale Earnhardt did more to safety than Dan Wheldon's crash at Las Vegas tbh. Super speedways are a safety hazard for open-wheels cars. Daytona Beach proved this in the 50s and disappeared from the schedule and IndyCar wasn't stupid enough to race at Talladega but they tried to master Las Vegas with tragic consequences. Atlanta was a complete IRL crash fest in the 90s before they got rid of this and it's a small miracle nobody got killed at Texas Motor Speedway yet.

The somewhat infamous Simona de Silverstro 2010 fireball at Texas was probably Holmatro team's worst emergency moment ever (she suffered burned hands & forearms).

I was talking more about HALO and other similar safety features. His death may have been prevented by one.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

But a decade just means a period of 10 years right? So who is to say it begins on 0? :d

I ended the 2007-2016 decade a while ago indeed.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!