website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2026

Totallympics

Haven't been joining in these discussions because I wasn't optimistic about this because I know that both the :GBR & the :SCO Governments are broke right now,  Good news is that it looks like these Australian guarantees are going to mean it goes ahead in some form.

Glasgow set to host 2026 Commonwealth Games - BBC News

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Haven't been joining in these discussions because I wasn't optimistic about this because I know that both the :GBR & the :SCO Governments are broke right now,  Good news is that it looks like these Australian guarantees are going to mean it goes ahead in some form.

Glasgow set to host 2026 Commonwealth Games - BBC News

I'll be honest, this always felt like a bit of horsetrading. glasgow is taking on the job of doing it at very short notice, so not surprisingly, it's looking for others to back it up

Scottish government agree to hosting of the Games, CFG announcement done

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce8ddeeklxko

now to see what this slimmed down idea looks like in sporting terms - given the Glasgow experience of hosting the European Championships in 2018, I'm quite hopeful it will not look as 'cheap and cheerful' as all that. And if it works well, and the Commonwealth Game Brand isn't diluted, it may set up the event more soundly going forward.

I imagine most of the venues from the 2014 Games are still available so most of the sports should return. Diving, shooting and triathlon were held outside the city and may be at risk of not being included. Additionally, 3x3 basketball, beach volleyball and cricket were held in 2022, but not 2014 so I imagine they might be at risk too.

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Scottish government agree to hosting of the Games, CFG announcement done

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce8ddeeklxko

now to see what this slimmed down idea looks like in sporting terms - given the Glasgow experience of hosting the European Championships in 2018, I'm quite hopeful it will not look as 'cheap and cheerful' as all that. And if it works well, and the Commonwealth Game Brand isn't diluted, it may set up the event more soundly going forward.

They trying to balance out various issues. India for example wants Wrestling to say despite that not being at all popular in Scotland. 

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I imagine most of the venues from the 2014 Games are still available so most of the sports should return. Diving, shooting and triathlon were held outside the city and may be at risk of not being included. Additionally, 3x3 basketball, beach volleyball and cricket were held in 2022, but not 2014 so I imagine they might be at risk too.

My hunch would be:

Athletics, Swimming

Bowls, Netball, Squash, Sevens, Badminton

Boxing, Weightlifting, Track cycling

If more than 10 sports : Wrestling, table tennis, Triathlon are next in that order.

I'm presuming the four venues mentioned are Scotstoun (Athletics, Sevens), Tollcross (Swimming), Chris Hoy velodrome (Track cycling, possible badminton) and Emirates Arena.(the rest)

Edited by mpjmcevoy

24 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

My hunch would be:

Athletics, Swimming

Bowls, Netball, Squash, Sevens, Badminton

Boxing, Weightlifting, Track cycling

If more than 10 sports : Wrestling, table tennis, Triathlon are next in that order.

I'm presuming the four venues mentioned are Scotstoun (Athletics, Sevens), Tollcross (Swimming), Chris Hoy velodrome (Track cycling, possible badminton) and Emirates Arena.(the rest)

Some should tell Rhys McClenaghan as he thinks Gymnastics is in.

India is pushing hard for Wrestling.

Edited by Orangehair43

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

Some should tell Rhys McClenaghan as he thinks Gymnastics is in.

India is pushing hard for Wrestling.

India pushed hard for Shooting and archery for Birmingham, it's what they do, and it doesn't tend to work.

It is understood all the events at this Games will take place in Glasgow.

There will be athletics, swimming and cycling events at various locations across the city.

However, it is understood there will be no marathon and no road cycling due to the cost involved with shutting off streets.

There will also be no mountain biking or shooting events this time.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/know-far-commonwealth-games-2026-134712960.html?