website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2019 - 2020

Totallympics

28 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Okay, I didn't remember that. I used to think mass starts was actually 10k back then :rolleyes:

no, it's always been over 12.5km...

however, I made a quick search and those are all the women's Mass Start races gone beyond 40 mins* (the only Olympic race is the already mentioned Turin 2006, the first Olympic Mass Start race ever)...

World Cup
2017/2018 Antholz/Anterselva :BLR D.Domracheva 40:23.9
2015/2016 Ruhpolding :CZE G.Koukalova 41:13.2
2014/2015 Oberhof :BLR D.Domracheva 42:36.6
2011/2012 Oberhof :GER M.Neuner 40:02.2
2009/2010 Oberhof :GER A.Henkel 40:53.6 / Ruhpolding :SWE E.Ekholm 40:58.7
2007/2008 Oberhof :GER M.Neuner 40:46.1
2006/2007 Ruhpolding :SWE A.C.Olofsson-Zidek 44:32.0** / Pokljuka :UKR O.Khvostenko 41:55.9
2005/2006 Kontiolahti :BLR O.Zubrilova 42:38.2

*I didn't check before the 2005/2006 season...

** definitely, the slowest one...

World Champs
2005 Hochfilzen :NOR G.M.Istad-Kristiansen 41:40.3
1999 Oslo Holmenkollen :UKR O.Zubrilova 40:08.2 (the very first World Champ Mass Start race)

fun fact, Zubrilova is mentioned as a World champion for :UKR Ukraine and as a World Cup stage winner for :BLR Belarus...:lol:

Edited by phelps

• 2 weeks later...

The US has announced that only 4 have automatically qualified for the next two races.  

U.S. women's :

Clare Egan (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) Susan Dunklee (Barton, Vt.).

U.S. men:

Sean Doherty (Center Conway, N.H.)

Leif Nordgren (Hinesburg, Vt.)

The rest of the nominations for the opening World Cup events of 2020 will be determined by the International Team Selection Trials taking place Jan. 6-7, in Arber, Germany. At the conclusion of those trials, additional athletes will be named to the World Cups 4-5 as well as the teams competing at IBU Cups 4-7.

Athletes competing at the International Team Selection Trials on the women's side are Emily Dreissigacker (Morrisville, Vt.), Joanne Reid (Grand Junction, Colo.), Hallie Grossman (South Burlington, Vt.), Kelsey Dickinson (Winthrop, Wash.), Maddie Phaneuf (Old Forge, N.Y.) and Deedra Irwin (Pulaski, Wis.).

Competing in the men's trials will be Alex Howe (Gilford, N.H.), Jake Brown (Saint Paul, Minn.), Travis Cooper (Kenai, Alaska), Lars Hammernes Leopold (Truckee, Calif.), Paul Schommer (Appleton, Wis.), Max Durtschi (Ketchum, Idaho) and Raleigh Goessling (Duluth, Minn.).

This has been a very disappointing season on the World Cup so far for the US.  There have been good individual moments on the IBU Cup. 

Russian biathlete Olga Podchufarova has applied for Slovenian citizenship and if she gets the go-ahead and the procedure is fast-tracked, she could come out of retirement to compete for Slovenia at the upcoming Pokljuka World Cup Biathlon in late January.

:NOR Norwegian team for Oberhof and Rupholding

Women:

Tiril Eckhoff 
Karoline Knotten
Thekla Brun-Lie 
Marte Olsbu Roeiseland 
Synnoeve Solemdal
Ingrid Landmark Tandrevold

Men:

Aleksander Fjeld Andersen 
Lars Helge Birkeland
Erlend Bjoentegaard
Tarjei Boe
Vetle Sjaastad Christiansen 
Johannes Dale 

https://skiskyting.no/nyheter/disse-skal-ga-verdenscup-i-oberhof-og-ruhpholding/

:GER German team for Oberhof

Women:

Marion Deigentesch

Maren Hammerschmidt

Denise Herrmann

Janina Hettich

Franziska Hildebrand

Vanessa Hinz

Franziska Preuss

Men:

Benedikt Doll

Lucas Fratzscher

Philipp Horn

Johannes Kuehn

Arnd Peiffer

Simon Schempp

https://www.facebook.com/pg/DSVBiathlon/posts/?ref=page_internal

Edited by Wumo

A few thoughts about the first three weekends:

Surprises:

Tiril Eckhoff  - I doubt anyone saw her success coming.

Swiss Women - The best season that I can remember is a long time

French Teams - Very deep on both sides.  As I mentioned earlier, it is odd to see in a sprint finish French men overtake Martin Fourcade.  

Disappointments:

US teams - 9 total athletes - 36 total world cup points, ouch!

Benny Weger - While the Swiss women have done well, the men have not.

German Women - Although they did better at Le Grand Bonnard, their first two weekends were really poor.  

I am looking forward to seeing the racing this weekend.  

On 02/01/2020 at 06:31, RobtheAggie said:

The US has announced that only 4 have automatically qualified for the next two races.  

U.S. women's :

Clare Egan (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) Susan Dunklee (Barton, Vt.).

U.S. men:

Sean Doherty (Center Conway, N.H.)

Leif Nordgren (Hinesburg, Vt.)

The rest of the nominations for the opening World Cup events of 2020 will be determined by the International Team Selection Trials taking place Jan. 6-7, in Arber, Germany. At the conclusion of those trials, additional athletes will be named to the World Cups 4-5 as well as the teams competing at IBU Cups 4-7.

Athletes competing at the International Team Selection Trials on the women's side are Emily Dreissigacker (Morrisville, Vt.), Joanne Reid (Grand Junction, Colo.), Hallie Grossman (South Burlington, Vt.), Kelsey Dickinson (Winthrop, Wash.), Maddie Phaneuf (Old Forge, N.Y.) and Deedra Irwin (Pulaski, Wis.).

Competing in the men's trials will be Alex Howe (Gilford, N.H.), Jake Brown (Saint Paul, Minn.), Travis Cooper (Kenai, Alaska), Lars Hammernes Leopold (Truckee, Calif.), Paul Schommer (Appleton, Wis.), Max Durtschi (Ketchum, Idaho) and Raleigh Goessling (Duluth, Minn.).

This has been a very disappointing season on the World Cup so far for the US.  There have been good individual moments on the IBU Cup. 

So the two day trial at Arber finished today.  

One the women's side:

Hallie Grossman (South Burlington, Vt.) and Emily Dreissigacker (Morrisville, Vt.) will race in the IBU World Cups at Oberhof,  Ruhpolding, Germany and Pokljuka, Slovakia.

One the men's side:

Paul Schommer (Appleton, Wis.) and Jake Brown (Saint Paul, Minn.) who have both made the podium in the IBU Cup this season have been named to the WC team.

That makes the following in the next 4 IBU Cup spots:

The U.S. women's roster for the next four IBU Cup events will consist of Deedra Irwin (Pulaski, Wis.), Joanne Reid (Grand Junction, Colo.), Kelsey Dickinson (Winthrop, Wash.) and Maddie Phaneuf (Old Forge, N.Y.).

The men's IBU Cup team will be Max Durtschi (Ketchum, Idaho), Alex Howe (Gilford, N.H.), Travis Cooper (Kenai, Alaska) and Lars Hammernes Leopold (Truckee, Calif.). Raleigh Goessling (Duluth, Minn.) will serve as the team's first alternate.