website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2019

hckošice

Just now, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Israel will never be good in any of those.  The judo is in a special place because of 92 and Oren Smadja and Yael Arad.  This is our national sport.  Used to be sailing too however that went to the back burner

In the Olympics out of 9 medals.  Only 1 came from something other then sailing and judo.   2000 Michael Kalganov in canoe sprint

I’m still honestly sad that you guys couldn’t sneak a short track medal in Pyeongchang. I really hope they work to build up a program. I know the guy is originally from Ukraine, but hopefully he stays and helps coach and find resources for younger athletes. Israel is advocating for European immigration like crazy right now, so it’s plausible we start seeing a few more “oddities”.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

I’m still honestly sad that you guys couldn’t sneak a short track medal in Pyeongchang. I really hope they work to build up a program. I know the guy is originally from Ukraine, but hopefully he stays and helps coach and find resources for younger athletes. Israel is advocating for European immigration like crazy right now, so it’s plausible we start seeing a few more “oddities”.

It's not new.  Most known Olympians are russian immigrants.  Michael Kalganov who won a bronze.   Alex Averbukh who won 2 world medals in pole vault but didnt do to much in Olympics.  Konstantin Matusevich who was very close to a high jump medal in Sydney. Hanna knyazeva who won a silver in triple jump in 2015 worlds and was in the final in Rio.   Sergey Richter also won some world shooting medals.    

It's not new.  Most known Olympians are russian immigrants.  Michael Kalganov who won a bronze.   Alex Averbukh who won 2 world medals in pole vault but didnt do to much in Olympics.  Konstantin Matusevich who was very close to a high jump medal in Sydney. Hanna knyazeva who won a silver in triple jump in 2015 worlds and was in the final in Rio.   Sergey Richter also won some world shooting medals.    

Immigration mainly comes from Ukraine. Ukraine has a huge ethnic Jewish population. Israel is openly encouraging French, Ukrainian, and few other countries I forget immigration. I was watching a 4-5 Part Vice News report on it. They were with this Ukrainian family, none of which were practicing Jews, who had recently found out that they were like 5-10% Jewish. Israel was practically begging them to come over, so they did. 

Serges Richer is also the only man to have ever won a European Games gold medal in the 10m Air Rifle event. Plus, he’ll be present in Tokyo, so who knows?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Immigration mainly comes from Ukraine. Ukraine has a huge ethnic Jewish population. Israel is openly encouraging French, Ukrainian, and few other countries I forget immigration. I was watching a 4-5 Part Vice News report on it. They were with this Ukrainian family, none of which were practicing Jews, who had recently found out that they were like 5-10% Jewish. Israel was practically begging them to come over, so they did. 

Serges Richer is also the only man to have ever won a European Games gold medal in the 10m Air Rifle event. Plus, he’ll be present in Tokyo, so who knows?

Well I am originally from Ukraine so yes a lot of Ukrainians immigrated to israel 

Well I am originally from Ukraine so yes a lot of Ukrainians immigrated to israel 

Well now you’ve peaked my curiosity. If you don’t mind me asking; How did it work? and what was the experience like? I don’t get to talk to many non-Latin American immigrants often so I’m curious.

Upon sawing that I’ve made good acquaintances with a Kuwaiti in my US Political Science class. He has a very interesting story.

Well now you’ve peaked my curiosity. If you don’t mind me asking; How did it work? and what was the experience like? I don’t get to talk to many non-Latin American immigrants often so I’m curious.

Upon sawing that I’ve made good acquaintances with a Kuwaiti in my US Political Science class. He has a very interesting story.

Honestly i dont remember much, i left to israel when i was 8 (and to USA 14 years later) But that was right after the fall of communism in 91 so a lot of jews were running to either Israel or USA, my family chose Israel, and settled there

Honestly i dont remember much, i left to israel when i was 8 (and to USA 14 years later) But that was right after the fall of communism in 91 so a lot of jews were running to either Israel or USA, my family chose Israel, and settled there

Damn. Well for an Ukrainian/Israeli immigrant your English is very good. I’m assuming you speak or at least know Ukrainian, Russian, and Hebrew as well? I will say that one of the main reasons I love SoCal is because all the really cool people I meet all the time. Sri Lankans, Indians, Iranians, Armenians, people or different Jewish origins, Brits, Dutch, Germans, Mexicans, Salvadorans (we have a pretty good size community where I live). Guatemalans, Arabs, Koreans, Chinese, Russians, etc. That’s what makes LA such a cool city (so I obviously hate all this right wing nonsense about immigrants), and why, like Rio, it makes a great host city for the Olympics (I’m taking about the social situation of Rio, not everything else). The Weightlifting Worlds were so fun to work because all the local communities came out to support athletes from their native lands.

Damn. Well for an Ukrainian/Israeli immigrant your English is very good. I’m assuming you speak or at least know Ukrainian, Russian, and Hebrew as well? I will say that one of the main reasons I love SoCal is because all the really cool people I meet all the time. Sri Lankans, Indians, Iranians, Armenians, people or different Jewish origins, Brits, Dutch, Germans, Mexicans, Salvadorans (we have a pretty good size community where I live). Guatemalans, Arabs, Koreans, Chinese, Russians, etc. That’s what makes LA such a cool city (so I obviously hate all this right wing nonsense about immigrants), and why, like Rio, it makes a great host city for the Olympics (I’m taking about the social situation of Rio, not everything else). The Weightlifting Worlds were so fun to work because all the local communities came out to support athletes from their native lands.

Well I've been here for 14 years now (BTW i'm also from L.A). I haven't been to the Weighlifting worlds but i am planning to go to the rugby sevens world series that will be in Carson (also am a Chargers season ticket holder)

Well I've been here for 14 years now (BTW i'm also from L.A). I haven't been to the Weighlifting worlds but i am planning to go to the rugby sevens world series that will be in Carson (also am a Chargers season ticket holder)

I plan to go to Caron Sevens too. Made we’ll bump into each other :thumbup:. I knew you were from LA because we had a conversation about that last summer I think. I not LA proper though, but I am within the county. I fully consider myself a true Angeleno and SoCal resident though.

I’ve really made a mess of this Judo thread tonight :p. Apologies to the mods for that.