website statistics

Men's American Football NFL 2023

Totallympics

15 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Watched a full quarter and overtime.

I still have no idea how a team loses "possession" (or whatever the appropriate term is) in this sport. 

Essentially, each team that's on offense has 4 chances (downs) to gain 10 yards (or score a touchdown if they're 10 yards or less from the endzone). When they gain 10 yards, the number of downs resets. 

Usually, when a team doesn't gain 10 yards after 3 downs, they kick a field goal if they are close enough to the endzone. Otherwise, they will punt the ball away to the other team. If they didn't punt and failed to gain the yards they needed on the 4th down, they would turn the ball over to the other team right at the spot where they were tackled. When they punt the ball away, then the opposing team has more yards to gain in order to score a touchdown. That's the most common way of losing possesion. Depending on the situation, teams sometimes take the chance on 4th down.

Other ways you can lose posssession are

• Fumbling the football (getting the ball knocked out of your hands before you go down and the defense gets possession of the ball before the offense)
  • Getting intercepted (throwing the ball to the defensive team)
  • Safety (getting sacked in your own endzone)

14 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Essentially, each team that's on offense has 4 chances (downs) to gain 10 yards (or score a touchdown if they're 10 yards or less from the endzone). When they gain 10 yards, the number of downs resets. 

Usually, when a team doesn't gain 10 yards after 3 downs, they kick a field goal if they are close enough to the endzone. Otherwise, they will punt the ball away to the other team. If they didn't punt and failed to gain the yards they needed on the 4th down, they would turn the ball over to the other team right at the spot where they were tackled. When they punt the ball away, then the opposing team has more yards to gain in order to score a touchdown. That's the most common way of losing possesion. Depending on the situation, teams sometimes take the chance on 4th down.

Other ways you can lose posssession are

• Fumbling the football (getting the ball knocked out of your hands before you go down and the defense gets possession of the ball before the offense)
  • Getting intercepted (throwing the ball to the defensive team)
  • Safety (getting sacked in your own endzone)

I get it.

The weirdest thing I saw was the quarterbacks deciding to simply throw the ball out of bounds and still getting a restart from that?. 

18 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The weirdest thing I saw was the quarterbacks deciding to simply throw the ball out of bounds and still getting a restart from that?. 

Yes, they use one of their four downs, but they don’t lose field position. Plus, an “incomplete pass” stops the clock from ticking down.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I get it.

Yes, because you have four downs to gain 10 yards or whatever number is left. A throw away results in a "restart" from the very same spot as the previous down.

Also, I’m American and I don’t understand the domestic/international craze for this sport. The prevalence of serious injuries and long game time with intermittent action don’t do it for me. I do see the cultural appeal to many people in the US, so I watch it as a causal fan mostly. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 months later...

2024 NFL Draft happened last night. Top 14 picks are all offensive players which is the most before a defensive player was taken in draft history.

The  biggest surprise is Falcons taking QB Michael Penix, Jr AFTER they just gave Kirk Cousins a 100 million deal in free agency (albeit he's 36yo coming off a torn Achilles).

GMD_duPWoAAi2YY?format=jpg&name=large