website statistics

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2023

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Stefanos Tsitsipas beats Jannik Sinner in five sets after four hours. Well, that's one good news for @Makedonas;)

Yes, it was a crazy, rollercoaster match! So many emotions, I was so stressed and nervous, but in the end Stefanos stepped up when it mattered. I am so proud of him and proud as a Greek to have an athlete like him. He is truly remarkable and a fighter. I hope he can continue to advance in this tournament. He deserves it!

@Gianlu33I see from your reaction you must be disappointed and it is understandable, but Jannik played a great match and you should also be very proud of him! His time will come if he plays more matches like this. It is a pity that both players could not be winners today, this was too good of a match to be played in the round of 16, it was worthy of a semifinal especially seeing the way the draw has collapsed here!

10 hours ago, thepharoah said:

another contender for the title is in great danger too , Coco Gauff trails 1 set to nil to Ostapenko 

I was not surprised by this, Ostapenko is an aggressive player and if she has a good day not much can be done. Gauff is a good fighter but she has limitations in her game. However she is very young and seems to be hardworking so I'm sure she will improve and get to the next level but it might take time!

Also, who knew that Magda Linette would be the last Pole standing in Melbourne? :yikes:

Edited by Makedonas

Gauff is young, but she and her team need to acknowledge that with tha FH she'll never beat the top in form players. They all know that is her weakness. Time is on her side, though.

With Iga out I wonder who can take the title. It seems the best chance for someone like Pegula or the winner of Sabalenka-Bencic, unless Rybakina keep this form.

The men's side should be Novak against Tsitsipas if Nole's leg holds till the end.