website statistics

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2023

Totallympics

On 1/20/2023 at 9:56 AM, Monzanator said:

Another tough loss for Maria Sakkari at GS level as she goes down to Zhu Lin in three sets. Just fire Tom Hill and try doing something else.

Sebastian Korda beats Daniil Medvedev who will go out of Top 10 because of this.

It's quite funny because she used to peak for the GS tournaments. In 2017 she was barely top 100 for most of the year (even dropped out briefly) yet made R3 of Aus Open, Wimbledon, and US Open. After the US Open she was only ranked 82 despite having three GS third rounds on her ranking.

Now she is a top 10 player and her last four GS results have been R2/R3/R2/R3...

She used to always beat these types of players until about 8 months ago, now she has a lot of losses against players she would never lose to before, for example Trevisan and now Zhu.

I don't know if it is coaching that needs to be changed, I mean Tom Hill brought her from being a top 50 player to top 3. Last year her results started to not be good anymore so I was thinking maybe it's time for a change, but then she made the final of Guadalajara out of nowhere and qualified for semifinals of WTA Finals.

She has a lot of points to defend between now and Indian Wells (St Petersburg F, Doha SF, Indian Wells F) but after that not much until October, so hopefully she'll play with less pressure when her ranking drops a little bit because as we saw in the match against Zhu she was too passive and allowed Zhu to dictate play and it seemed that Maria was afraid to go for her shots and kept hitting in the middle of the court :facepalm:

I am proud though that Maria at least tried her best and fought until the end as she always does, in an era when there are many lazy/unmotivated players on WTA who always give up and don't care.

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Probably the two most in-form players in the bottom half (Sabalenka & Bencic) will meet in R4 already.

Linda Fruhvirtova won the :CZE derby over Marketa Vondrousova in three sets :)

I watched the end of this match, it seemed Vondrousova was injured and struggling to move. I was shocked by the handshake, very cold and unfriendly. I thought they were going to be friendly as they are from the same country.

Last night Tsitsipas brothers lost 6-7(6) 6-4 6-7(7) in the second round of doubles to the number 1 seeded team. It was a great performance and too bad that they couldn't win, but Petros is definitely improving in doubles and soon will be top 100. I think it is quite realistic at this point to expect Greece to have possibly 3 quotas in tennis for Paris 2024 as long as Petros stays healthy, I guess he will have to be top 75 or so by then, I think we will qualify the brothers to play men's doubles :clap:

They also did not get broken the entire match. It also looks good for our upcoming Davis Cup tie against Ecuador, which will not be easy as they have a good doubles pairing as well but we will be at home at the Olympic Indoor Hall in front of 10,000 fans or so, which will easily break the attendance record for a tennis match in Greece (Olympic tennis stadium only seats 8,000).

14 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Fruhvirtova also took a very long medical timeout down 2-3 in the third set. She did not look injured to me. If another player did that then they would be heavily criticized...

Let's not forget the fake narratives being spread about Tsitsipas at the 2021 US Open, first by 'Sir' Andy Murray and then by others in the match against Alcaraz, where Tsitsipas took a toilet break after WINNING the 4th set 6-0 and was booed by the New York crowd for it, which makes no sense because he clearly had the momentum as he bageled Alcaraz in that set...

Edited by Makedonas