website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans in 2023

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

OK, I've now read the full ITIA decision on Halep and it really can't be much worse for her.

There's a strong suggestion, although it can't be conclusively proved, that she was doping since 2014.

Sadly, for various reasons, that does not shock me.

I'd heard a few mumblings over the years along the lines that her determination to succeed seemed worryingly extreme. I doubt she's the only one, but if I'd been asked to pick a likely one, she'd have been on the list, and the list would have been short.

I guess we'll see what happens, but the judgment is pretty damning.

Possibly we have the first full-throated Lance Armstrong/Marion Jones level career-long cheat caught bang to rights in Tennis.

What is interesting now - and not a little disturbing - is the relative silence from the WTA playership. She won Grand Slams, she was world #1, she's made $40M dollars in career earnings from a career that looks to have broadly been a lie. That must be close to six figures per high level pro (top 150) on the tour.

Her peers should be a LOT angrier than they seem to be, Serena the notable exception.

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

No surprise they hadn't collected enough samples. Anti-doping is very poorly funded in tennis.

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

OK, I've now read the full ITIA decision on Halep and it really can't be much worse for her.

There's a strong suggestion, although it can't be conclusively proved, that she was doping since 2014.

I haven't read the whole report but I saw it mentioned elsewhere that they didn't pursue her in 2014 and 2017 because of a lack of data (AKA not enough samples collected). I wonder how many other athletes have been flagged in this manner but continue to compete because the anti-doping system is underfunded.

Highly unlikely that she doped pre Mouratoglou if you ask me. She had different teams across all those years and this scheme was all Mouratoglou Academy. But it's been ruled out by technicalities so it doesn't matter anyway. Let's see what CAS rules, I doubt it will change the outcome.

4 or 6 years punishment for Halep means the same thing for her: end of career. About what I've read above from different users: a lot of players are dopped but they are not caught, even Nadal when he was "injured" in that year was dopped, but that case was undercover;)

14 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

but if I'd been asked to pick a likely one, she'd have been on the list, and the list would have been short.

Well, you're being asked now, so: who else would be on that short list? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

53 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well, you're being asked now, so: who else would be on that short list? :p 

There's another 3 in the current top 20 women that set my antennae flashing, another two I have my doubts about. So, yeah, my shortlist is 4, 6 at a stretch, but 4.

And if you think I'm going to publically defame them on the basis of my hunches, you're a loon!

Edited by mpjmcevoy

• 2 weeks later...

:IND Doping Control not getting much cooperation from athletes.

ONLY ONE participant in the final of the men’s 100 metres; a steeplechase athlete who kept running after crossing the finish line to evade dope testing; several winners skipping the medal ceremony as they were worried about being asked to give samples.

The final day of the Delhi State Athletics Championship (September 23-26), at the warm-up track of the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in the national capital, turned into a cat-and-mouse game between athletes and doping control officers on Tuesday.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/dope-testers-show-up-at-delhi-state-athletics-meet-most-athletes-bolt-only-1-in-100-metre-final-8957732/#ln2p6zh0agp1yc5tz

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

ONLY ONE participant in the final of the men’s 100 metres; a steeplechase athlete who kept running after crossing the finish line to evade dope testing; several winners skipping the medal ceremony as they were worried about being asked to give samples.

The final day of the Delhi State Athletics Championship (September 23-26), at the warm-up track of the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in the national capital, turned into a cat-and-mouse game between athletes and doping control officers on Tuesday.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/dope-testers-show-up-at-delhi-state-athletics-meet-most-athletes-bolt-only-1-in-100-metre-final-8957732/#ln2p6zh0agp1yc5tz

Quite an eye opening article that's worth a read because there's more scandalous details within. I guess anti-doping is so poor in India that athletes feel bold enough to turn up to meets glowing or even administer PEDs during the meet.

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Ain increasingly strong argument for making membership of a specific anti-doping pool a criterion to participation - if the size of India makes it impossible, as it seems to be, to run anti-doping in a competent fashion, perhaps the only answer is to reduce the task to a small registered pool of athletes, and anyone else cannot compete internationally.