website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

vinipereira

Amazing result. Two medals! Even though I'm not Lima's biggest fan, he surprised me and a medal is a medal.

Now, it's irritating how the Brazilian commentators on TV (and even male swimmers) treat both open water swimming and female swimmers.

The commentators keep repeating this is the first time two swimmers from Brazil are on the podium at the swimming championships. In 2013 Poliana Okimoto and Ana Marcela Cunha were 1-2 on the 10 km open water event.

Nicholas Santos kept saying in his interview that his bronze medal was the first medal at the championships, while Ana Marcela Cunha won two gold medals in 5 km open water and 25 km open water events.

In 2016 Brazilian media often expressed disappointment with "no medals in swimming", and Poliana Okimoto won the bronze medal in the 10 km open water event. Besides, she was the first female swimmer from Brazil to earn an Olympic medal, but few people acknowledge this.

37 minutes ago, phelps said:

for sure, if Ledecky is somehow healthy, Quadarella's gold becomes a silver...

but I wouldn't bet against Pellegrini closing her career with a Gold medal...

Paltrinieri could defend his title (and double it up in the olympic newcomer, the 800m free) and Detti could be a threat in the 400m free (he's just 6/100 behind Horton -and he has not had a full year of training, as this winter and early spring he was still recovering from last year's shoulder injury- and hopefully Sun will be out of contention after CAS sentence next september)...

but yeah, we could easily end up without any gold medal...

Don't see any realistic chances for Quadarella, Detti or Pellegrini, but if Wellbrock stops progressing, then Paltrinieri could become double olympic champion.

Not sure if you are serious about "but yeah, we could easily end up without any gold medal...", but if not, then would you be interested in a bet?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

il y a 6 minutes, thiago_simoes a dit :

Amazing result. Two medals! Even though I'm not Lima's biggest fan, he surprised me and a medal is a medal.

Now, it's irritating how the Brazilian commentators on TV (and even male swimmers) treat both open water swimming and female swimmers.

The commentators keep repeating this is the first time two swimmers from Brazil are on the podium at the swimming championships. In 2013 Poliana Okimoto and Ana Marcela Cunha were 1-2 on the 10 km open water event.

Nicholas Santos kept saying in his interview that his bronze medal was the first medal at the championships, while Ana Marcela Cunha won two gold medals in 5 km open water and 25 km open water events.

In 2016 Brazilian media often expressed disappointment with "no medals in swimming", and Poliana Okimoto won the bronze medal in the 10 km open water event. Besides, she was the first female swimmer from Brazil to earn an Olympic medal, but few people acknowledge this.

Media sometimes ....

13 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I can somewhat understand, since open water swimming and long course swimming is also treated separately by FINA, IOC etc. Could have it as a sidenote though, here they usually say something like "first medal in the pool at these championships".

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, Canada4thewin said:

So what's left for today ?

Last 200m IM semi and then the always easy to follow mixed 4x100m medley relay.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

I can somewhat understand, since open water swimming and long course swimming is also treated separately by FINA, IOC etc. Could have it as a sidenote though, here they usually say something like "first medal in the pool at these championships".

Plus there is more prestige in pool swimming... A lot of people don't know that such thing as open water swimming even exists.

#banbestmen