website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

After a pretty strong start, we'll be lucky to see 20 medals total.  Golds?  Forget about it.  We'll hear more "They tried, they were injured, we're just happy to be here".  

And I'm just some dude who never came close so screw me.  But holy shit, Canadians, generally speaking, cannot perform at the Olympics.  

I thought there were more, but off the top of my head I can list 11 fourth place finishes by Canadians thus far (and +4 where at least a bronze would have been guaranteed).  This isn't to attack these athletes (that's why I've left their names off).  But this is a continuing issue for Canada at the Olympics.  Much has been made of the 4th/5th place finishes over the last 20 years.  At this point we have to accept there's some psychology involved.  

But hey, at least they're not world champions who can't even get out of the quarters.  Or ranked third in the world who can't even get to the quarters.  

W 10m synchro diving

W 100m free

M 4x100 free relay

W 4x200 free relay

W 400m free

M 96 kg weightlifting

W Gymnastics Balance Beam

W Team Pursuit Track cycling

M Rowing Pair

M Cycling Road Race (virtual 4th)

W Trampoline

Matches where a bronze medal was lost:

M Judo 100kg

M Judo 73kg

W Boxing Middle

W Boxing Feather

3 minutes ago, Canada4thewin said:

lol I feel you :d

You'd be amazed how often that 1976 final gets repeated on Polish TV. It remains one of only two Olympic gold medals in team sports for Poland (football (soccer) 1972 is the other but we rarely get to see that anymore since 1974 World Cup matches are repeated more often instead).

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

You'd be amazed how often that 1976 final gets repeated on Polish TV. It remains one of only two Olympic gold medals in team sports for Poland (football (soccer) 1972 is the other but we rarely get to see that anymore since 1974 World Cup matches are repeated more often instead).

I'd offer sympathy, but Canada's two summer golds in team sports are both from 1904, so we don't even have video of them.

(Not counting the ice hockey gold from 1920, since that later became a winter Olympic sport)

Overall Day 11 was not a good day for Canada, two fourths and a fifth plus both our beach volleyball teams lost. The main good thing was we have two athletes in the men's 200m final.

For Day 12 we pretty much have the men's 200m in athletics as our best medal chance. We could also have a chance in the individual jumping in equestrian given how it is turning into a bit of a lottery.