website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker Road to Paris 2024

13 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

So, where are we on Rhasidat's Olympic medal hopes after another PB tonight? Three from four for the medals out of Adeleke, Kaczmarek, Miller-Uibo and Paulino - or is there a bolter to come from somewhere that can run 49 flat? Would be concerned she might just get squeezed out by the other three but all to play for at this stage.

I think she is exactly where she needs to be. She set a PB and ran the world silver medalist close and pushed her to a sub 48 sec. I think she's going to be on the podium in Paris but it could go either way. So exciting though!

24 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I think she is exactly where she needs to be. She set a PB and ran the world silver medalist close and pushed her to a sub 48 sec. I think she's going to be on the podium in Paris but it could go either way. So exciting though!

I think a lot of people may be sleeping on just what an astonishing 400 that was - never before has a European's legitimately seen anything like that (I will not pretend Koch and Kratch are legit). World class 400 runners like Klaver simply  left in the wake of top 2. And I don't think Rhashidat ran her perfect race; she was a little conservative opening, and then lost a smidge of form under pressure for the last 30 - and still ran that astonishing time v an absolutely world class runner smashing her own pb/nr. Pity Syd and Bol are swerving the 400 flat, but it's still gonna be an astonishing race.

I think we have to factor in Nickisha Price (sub 49 already this year) and Kaylyn Brown (fastest American) too. Theres 6 there who’ll feel they can win gold if everything falls for them 

I think those two are huge talents and definitely rivals for Adeleke longer term. But I suspect they'll be massively disadvantaged this year by their NCAA schedule. Having run exceptional times at the NCAA finals.in Eugene it will be very difficult for them to peak again for Paris. But looking longer term the 400m field looks absolutely stacked in future years.

15 hours ago, dodge said:

The full :IRL equestrian team has been named

EVENTING

Susie Berry with Wellfields Lincoln

Sarah Ennis with Action Lady M

Austin O’Connor with Colorado Blue

reserve

Aoife Clark with Sportsfield Freelance

SHOWJUMPING

Daniel Coyle with Legacy

Cian O’Connor with Maurice

Shane Sweetnam with James Kann Cruz 

reserve

Bertram Allen with Pacino Amiro 

DRESSAGE

Abi Lyle with Giraldo

Strong enough looking teams although I'm a bit disappointed they didn't select Lucy Latta after her 2nd place at Badminton, best Irish result there since 1965.

She’s on the long list. As others have pointed out the cross country (where she excelled) isn’t as tough in the Olympics so I’d imagine that factored in

Austin O’Connor won a 5 star event last year so fingers crossed 

Yeah I think Olympic course would be more like a CCI 4 star, it's a strong team anyway. With no discard score in the equestrian events, which I really don't agree with (unless it works in our favour some day!) the team eventing is a bit of a lottery

Whole new ball game for that and showjumping with no discard scores I think. We definitely have a medal chance in the showjumping (but one mistake could end it for any team)

Mawdsley with a 49.76 relay split this morning, just incredible how she can keep going despite what must be an incredibly tiring meet for her.

It’s going to be crucial if we are to medal in Paris in the relay that we can get her there in the same shape. Fingers crossed she can keep this form going through to Paris and also get some much needed recovery!! 

Dates for Paris 

2nd even mixed relay semi

3rd even mixed relay final

5th morn indiv heats

6th morn indiv repechage (hopefully not involved)

7th even indiv semi

9th morn women’s relay semi

9th even indiv final

10th even women’s relay final

I think we’ll give the mixed relay full guns, but then hope to get to the women’s relay final without Rhasidat.

Unlikely Sharlene will make the final so she will at least have a day off on the 8th!