website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker

Wins for Moorehouse and Aidan Walsh this afternoon mean we have 5 going into the final quota bouts tomorrow 

Walsh’s win over the Cuban was impressive 

I see Kate O'Connor won't go to the Europeans. She is now 23rd out of 24 possible quotas for the Olympics. This seems like 2021 all over again. I hope she is fit and she is planning on doing a heptathlon before the cut-off because she needs another good heptathlon score to have any chance of keeping her quota place. Sadly she has struggled for any kind of consistency of late.

Jenny Lehane is going to Paris after a 5-0 quarter final win over Hanna Lakotar 🇭🇺, congratulations to her! So hard on boxers losing at this final stage, poor Lakotar looked devastated. Fingers crossed more Irish quotas will be added, Grainne Walsh up next

Posted (edited)

So it's a full house on the women's side, thanks to Daina Moorhouse. Fantastic effort all round. Nine boxers qualified now, would be great to get at least one more from Walsh and McDonagh to get it into double figures, but either way it's been a successful weekend.

Our overall qualification total is closing in hard now on the record 117 that competed in Tokyo, and there's still six weeks worth of qualifications to come.

Also worth noting that Ireland are one of only three countries to qualify in all six weights on the women's side. The other two are China, who have just a slight population advantage over us, and Australia who have a much easier qualification path via the Pacific Games.

Edited by Cosmo Kramer

35 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

So it's a full house on the women's side, thanks to Daina Moorhouse. Fantastic effort all round. Nine boxers qualified now, would be great to get at least one more from Walsh and McDonagh to get it into double figures, but either way it's been a successful weekend.

Our overall qualification total is closing in hard now on the record 117 that competed in Tokyo, and there's still six weeks worth of qualifications to come.

Also worth noting that Ireland are one of only three countries to qualify in all six weights on the women's side. The other two are China, who have just a slight population advantage over us, and Australia who have a much easier qualification path via the Pacific Games.

Walsh picks up the tenth quota. Though, frankly, god knows how.

Aidan Walsh with a unanimous points victory over 🇵🇷 to qualify for his second Olympic Games. Probably lucky not to get a points deduction for holding and lack of engagement, thought he won rounds 1 and 3 but surprised that 3 of the judges gave him round 2. I think he needs to refine his style a bit for the Games as he's always running the risk of getting points deductions with his style

Yeah, I don't think he needed to be that standoffish, I get the idea behind what he was doing but he probably took it a bit too far. Still though, it worked for him today, so we'll take it.

Yeah especially when the only way he could lose going into round 3 was either by receiving a standing count for a 10-8 round or being deducted a point, it was a risky strategy to engage so little and he needs to have a look at this with his coaches. This approach caught him against the Jordanian in the quarter final after taking the first round. I thought yesterday against the Cuban, while not a huge change in style, he boxed to perfection and did enough in terms of landing punches to keep the ref off his back, today he ran the risk of taking it too far again. Anyway fair play to him, job done!