website statistics

India at the Commonwealth Games 2022

Prakash

India at the Commonwealth games 2022

*post 1 of 2 by Nitin Sanker*

With the commonwealth games starting today ,thought I  would have a quick look at India’s likely performance at the games.

*History*  

CWG has been India’s best multi-games event amongst  the big three  - Olympics , CWG and asian games  In the last 3 editions of CWG we have finished 2nd -2010 , 5th -2014 and 3rd -2018.  

In 2018 we finished with 26-20-20 , a total of 66 medals  .   This time things are more difficult for India primarily because shooting which gave us 7 golds ( out of 26) in the last CWG edition have been dropped shockingly from the games.  *So can india recover ?* . let us have a quick look at what the numbers may be.

*Wrestling* 

India has seen a great improvement in wrestling and  this should be our number one event in terms of both medals and gold medals at CWG.

In mens freestyle the competition is weak and  with Ravi , Bajrang  and Deepak punia  as gold medal prospects and a slightly unproven group of mohit , naveen and deepak deepak  as sure medallists . we should in my opinion get 4-5 golds and 6 medals in mens .

In Women’s freestyle the competition is better with Nigeria quite strong  -  odunaye in 55 kgs ( a world championship medallist ) and blessing in 68 ( Olympic silver ),   but I would say we have a great team : Vinesh ( world championship medalist ) , Pooja ( U23 world silver medallist ), anshu ( world silver medallist) , sakshi ( Olympic bronze ) I think we have the fire power to get 3-4 golds and again 6 medals ….. so wrestling 7-9 golds and 12 medals

*Weightlifting*

Competition in weightlifting  is tough with England , Nigeria  in women and Malaysia in men.

With 15 Indians ( out of 16 medals ) in the fray , weightlifting should be our second best sport.  Of course our Olympic medallist Mirabhai Chanu , bindyarani ,  punam yadav, purnima pandey in women and  jeremmy lalrinuga, achanta sheuli , ajay singh in men  are likely gold medalists , there should be 5 golds and 10 medals or so for us in this a sport we have always done well at the CWG.

*Badminton*

India being the current Thomas cup champions for the first time ever , Indian badminton should shine bright at the CWG , with likely golds in mixed team , PV Sindhu , Lakshya and Kidambi  in mens singles ( with singapores Loh kean yew as a possible spoil sport ) and possible medals in all the events we can say 2-3  golds and 5 medals as a reasonable prospect for us

*Cycling*

We have never medalled in cycling , this time we have a formidable set of opponents in England , Australia , Malaysia ,Canada  and Trinidad . We have some great cyclists in Esow alben , Ronaldo etc but cycling alas still may be a bridge too far

*Gymnastics*

Again despite some good gymnasts in pranati nayak and satyajit mondol we may at best aspire to a final appearance possibly in womens vault at best

*Swimming, diving  and triathalon *

Despite many national awards coming crashing down in the last couple of years,  the competition in swimming is so good if we reach a final we can consider it a great performance with srihari nataraj in backstroke being our best prospect

*lawn bowls*

A sport virtually unknown in India but in the last edition we had 3 QFinalists so maybe, just maybe a medal

That covers *half of the sports we will be competing in* , please share this in other groups and I will post Indias chances in the remaining half of the sports including boxing , athletics etc tomorrow 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi