website statistics

Day 13 (February 17th, 2022)

Day 13 (February 17) Canadian Schedule

February 16

20:05: Curling- Men’s Round Robin- Session 12: :CAN Canada vs. Great Britain :GBR

20:30: Freestyle Skiing- Women’s Halfpipe- Qualification- Run 1 (Rachael Karker [2nd], Cassie Sharpe [4th], Amy Fraser [13th])

21:21: Freestyle Skiing- Women’s Halfpipe- Qualification- Run 2

21:30: Alpine Skiing- Women’s Alpine Combined- Downhill (Roni Remme [14th])

22:30: Freestyle Skiing- Women’s Ski Cross- Seeding (Marielle Thompson [1st], Brittany Phelan [7th], Hannah Schmidt [10th], Courtney Hoffos [11th])

23:10: Ice Hockey- Women’s Gold Medal Game: :CAN Canada vs. United States :USA

23:30: Freestyle Skiing- Men’s Halfpipe- Qualification- Run 1 (Noah Bowman [1st], Brendan Mackay [3rd], Simon d Artois [16th])

February 17

0:21: Freestyle Skiing- Men’s Halfpipe- Qualification- Run 2

1:00: Alpine Skiing- Women’s Alpine Combined- Slalom

1:00: Freestyle Skiing- Women’s Ski Cross- 1/8 Finals

1:05: Curling- Women’s Round Robin- Session 12: :DEN Denmark vs. Canada :CAN

1:35: Freestyle Skiing- Women’s Ski Cross- Quarterfinals

1:54: Freestyle Skiing- Women’s Ski Cross- Semifinals

2:10: Freestyle Skiing- Women’s Ski Cross- Finals

3:30: Speed Skating- Women’s 1000m (see below)

Pair 1: :CAN Alexa Scott vs. :BEL Sandrina Tas

Pair 6: :KAZ Nadezhda Morozova vs. :CAN Maddison Pearman

5:00: Figure Skating- Women’s- Free Skate (Madeline Schizas [6th])

7:05: Curling- Men’s Semifinals: :SWE Sweden vs. Canada :CAN

We are now 3/4 through the Olympics, we have so far won 18 medals which is six short of my prediction of 24, let's see how the six categories are doing.

Freestyle Skiing - 2/5

Snowboarding - 6/5

Short Track - 4/4

Speed Skating - 3/4

Curling/Ice Hockey - 0/3

Others - 3/3

Short track and the other categories have now met my standards while snowboarding was nice enough to outdo my expectations and win an additional medal. Sadly the three remaining categories don't look so hot. Freestyle skiing still has half-pipe and ski cross which is good for us, but it does force our team to be near perfect in events where all it takes is a minor mistake to fail.

Speed skating is pretty much down to women's mass start. Blondin has had a poor start to the games, but hopefully the team pursuit gold medal will help her get into the rhythm. Besides that the only other option would be if Dubreuil or Howe decide to have a great performance in their weaker event in the men's 1000m.

While we will get a medal in women's ice hockey, the other two will be hard to secure. The men's ice hockey team was eliminated which only leaves our two curling teams. The men are in the semis and women can qualify if they defeat Denmark. The chances are there for both, but they could easily finish fourth with the way they have been performing.

Should any of the above fail the only other events which could help us will be in bobsled. Overall of the 23 remaining events we have a medal chance in 11 of them (unless we pull off a ski jumping and luck into a mixed team alpine skiing medal) where we must win 6 medals just to meet expectations. A team figure skating medal may come in the future, but I feel the games will be long gone by then.

19 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

We are now 3/4 through the Olympics, we have so far won 18 medals which is six short of my prediction of 24, let's see how the six categories are doing.

Freestyle Skiing - 2/5

Snowboarding - 6/5

Short Track - 4/4

Speed Skating - 3/4

Curling/Ice Hockey - 0/3

Others - 3/3

Short track and the other categories have now met my standards while snowboarding was nice enough to outdo my expectations and win an additional medal. Sadly the three remaining categories don't look so hot. Freestyle skiing still has half-pipe and ski cross which is good for us, but it does force our team to be near perfect in events where all it takes is a minor mistake to fail.

Speed skating is pretty much down to women's mass start. Blondin has had a poor start to the games, but hopefully the team pursuit gold medal will help her get into the rhythm. Besides that the only other option would be if Dubreuil or Howe decide to have a great performance in their weaker event in the men's 1000m.

While we will get a medal in women's ice hockey, the other two will be hard to secure. The men's ice hockey team was eliminated which only leaves our two curling teams. The men are in the semis and women can qualify if they defeat Denmark. The chances are there for both, but they could easily finish fourth with the way they have been performing.

Should any of the above fail the only other events which could help us will be in bobsled. Overall of the 23 remaining events we have a medal chance in 11 of them (unless we pull off a ski jumping and luck into a mixed team alpine skiing medal) where we must win 6 medals just to meet expectations. A team figure skating medal may come in the future, but I feel the games will be long gone by then.

My estimation was 25-35 medals for Canada, including 7-10 golds.  I feel like 25 minimum is still in sight, but the golds are long gone.  Five would be amazing at this point.  

There's so much decided by millimeters in the winter Olympics, and Canada happens to be best at the sports that rely on not falling down, so it's always hard to predict.  What has killed Canada this time is that they have underperformed at the sports where merely doing your job should get you medals, like speed skating and curling.  

At the same time, there have been surprises in alpine, and most of all ski jumping (Olympic moment if there ever was one).  Besides medals, Canada has performed well in cross country and biathlon.  I actually got more excited for those finishes than some medals, tbh.  Biathlon in particular is very exciting and dramatic.  

Short track men's relay is a big deal to me, and the gold makes these Olympics good.  Women finishing 4th hurt, though.  Men's hockey sucks, but a medal was always going to be tough, but with Slovakia winning today a win tonight could have meant very good chances for at least the bronze.  Curlers have been a disappointment, and I'd be mildly surprised at a medal there now.  

I was at the gold medal women's hockey game in 2018 and to see them lose in a shootout, and then go to Canada House to interact with the players, I knew they'd come to Beijing ready for gold.  That is one saving grace now (but I'm so used to disappointment here).  

Sorry for rambling on, a couple of nights ago I had friends over for the GB vs CAN curling game and I prepared some alcohol.  Too much apparently, and since this is the last night of my holiday I decided to get rid of it all single-handedly.  I thought it was going to be a really good night for Canada, and it was in one way.  And one way only.  But a big one way.  

GO CANADA!

and all that.  

24 minutes ago, orangeman said:

My estimation was 25-35 medals for Canada, including 7-10 golds.  I feel like 25 minimum is still in sight, but the golds are long gone.  Five would be amazing at this point.  

25-35 (so average of 30) was a bit high. It's one more than what we won in 2018, but going into this Olympics, our luge team was going to finish with no medals and our figure skating team was at best in contention for 2 medals. The only sport which was on an upswing was speed skating while snowboarding had a poor 2018 so they were likely to see an increase in medals won

22 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

25-35 (so average of 30) was a bit high. It's one more than what we won in 2018, but going into this Olympics, our luge team was going to finish with no medals and our figure skating team was at best in contention for 2 medals. The only sport which was on an upswing was speed skating while snowboarding had a poor 2018 so they were likely to see an increase in medals won

Well, you say 30 was an average, but that would have been pretty good to me.  25 was basically minimum expectation.  Like I said, so much relies on not falling down that I thought 25 was the minimum if everything went wrong, while 35 was Canada's ceiling.  Most everything has gone wrong, so 25 is where we're aiming.

We also have to remember that from 2010-2018 curling/hockey were guaranteed medals, with golds (2010: 4/3; 2014: 4/4; 2018: 3/1).  This time we're likely looking at one medal and maybe not even a gold.  And I feel like this puts a damper on our whole Olympics because these are the two team sports and they can create the mood for each day.  So far, not good in Beijing besides the women's hockey team.